Got the D600

clarnibass

I just got the D600. I also considered the D800 and the Canon 5D3.

I think it is great but have only a few criticisms.

The grip is a bit uncomfortable. The grip itself is a bit thinner and less curvy than D800 (being shorter is a non-issue for me) and also it has a sharper angle with the top part that sticks out above where the buttons are. It's not the size at all, just the shape.

The second thing is the joystick. It is a little small and the edge could be smoother.

Both the D800 and the 5D3 don't have those issues (for me) but they are not worth more than $1,000 extra to me.

Other than that it's great. I can use ISO 12800 while with my previous camera ISO 3200 was borderline. Photos in daylight also are better. Really nice overall.

Rick M

It's an excellent camera with a few less features than the D800, but awesome IQ! It does have a pixel desity advantage over the D800 so it can handle smaller apertures before sensor diffraction becomes apparent and the smaller size is a plus to me.

Nikonitus

In time, like about ONE week, you'll be overlooking those small characteristics as you grow used to the D600. I noticed both those things - small grip area and the scroll wheel thingy, but now I am very used to them both... I nearly dropped the D600 on the first day I used it,, just wasn't ready to handle without a battery grip I suppose, so I was more careful and I bought the grip asap. As for the wheel,, it's quite good and precise for me now that I am used to it. After a few weeks on the D600 I went back to my D300 and that wheel was gigantic all of a sudden... Guess it works both ways...

Phillydog1958

The D800's larger files take up more hard drive space. Plus, the D600 is just a great buy. You compared the D600's smaller grip when compared to that of the D800. Keep in mind that there is an optional Nikon grip available.

Last edited: