Excellent Tripod Deal

Rick M

I just recieved the combo below from B&H. Very nice quality medium duty tripod and ball head at half price. Comes with a paded carrying bag, shoulder strap and a built in ring to attach a strap directly to the tripod. Everything is built very well and the ball head locks in place tightly which is an issue sometimes with ball heads. Can't beat it for $100!

Oben AC-2310 3-Section Aluminum Tripod with BA-1 Ball Head Kit

The leg clamps are a bit stiff, but adjustable.

Last edited:

Rick M

That does look good Ted, I wanted one with only three leg sections. I find I always have them extended and the one I got is eye level with just the three sections without raising the center column.

Rick M

I've often thought of making a monopod by widdling a walking stick and attaching a QR ball head at the top. I never get around to it partly because HDR is best done on a tripod

Eye-level

Banned
Everything is best done on a tripod sir except for maybe when you are getting shot at...by bullets or rockets or etc... I figure if I get a tripod my photography will greatly improve but then there is that question of lugging the sucker around. :)

TedG954

I've a decent but old tripod already but am in the market for a good monopod, any suggestions?

I have a 60" Targus (?) monopod. It's in my vehicle. I never use it. I don't think it's any less of a burden than a tripod.

One way I would use it, is to attach a small (S90) point-n-shoot for movies. Or set the timer for a photo, when you can't get close to the action. The monopod would come in handy to reach over the crowd. Other than that, I carry my tripod.

Dave_W

The Dude
Yeah, I suppose you're right Ted. I've been using my tripod as a monopod when I go to places like the zoo and it has the added benefit of converting to a tripod, if needed. But it's awfully lunky and I was hoping a monopod would be a little better, but it doesn't sound like it.

fotojack

I have a Manfrotto 079, which I picked up for $20 on Kijiji, and a Benro MP-68m8.....also picked up on Kijiji for $20. They both have their strong points, as the Manfrotto is heavier than the Benro. Both come in very handy when a tripod is not practical.

ABN Panzer

Rick,

What are your thoughts on the Tripod, now that youve had it a short bit?
I just received the one I purchased and am contemplating getting another for my Father, who just got a camera (Canon...)

My initial thoughts are positive but I've had it all of a few hours at this point.

stmv

my favorite is a now discontinued Manfrotto with a similar built in circular head. I have the carbon model also 190, but I really like the smaller cousin, The smaller one with the pistal grip is too light duty, and cannot hold a heavy SLR with any serious glass, in fact, that is how my D700 fell into a river when the mechanism let go (400 dollars later, the D700 was as good as new).

I don't like tripods that you have to twist the legs, but prefer the flip levers, just find it easier, but still tripods are a pain, I actually hand shoot quite a bit, when the light is enough, and most of the time can get sharp shots.

I had a phase, where I was getting obsessive with sharpness, tripod, mirror up, delay, cable release, etc. Yes, I still do that, but not nearly as often.

I got the Dolica 72" Proline a while back and although I don't use it a lot I have been very happy with it. Built in Bubble levels and it is tall enough for me to use without having to bend over. I would suggest it for anyone who would like a good tripod without having to sell a kidney to buy.

Rick M

Rick,

What are your thoughts on the Tripod, now that youve had it a short bit?
I just received the one I purchased and am contemplating getting another for my Father, who just got a camera (Canon...)

My initial thoughts are positive but I've had it all of a few hours at this point.

I really like it, the ball head is very solid and no longer experience any drooping with a heavy lens. The small beno droops a bit (I was using past it's capacity). I was origianlly going with a $160 Mabnfrotto, but some folks complained about the ball head drooping. I too have found, like Ted, not to over tighten.