Indoor Volleyball

scotzie

Good Day,
I am wondering if the community could offer some suggestions for the proper settings for shooting volleyball.
I have a D7000 and am finding that I am experiencing a lot of noise in my photos.
While I don't mind post processing a few photos but when I shoot 200-400 per weekend, that is a lot to work on.
As well, I am using Light Room and I don't find that the noise removal works as well as noise ninja, but my computer is down and I am using one without photoshop. I know, the dreadfulness.
Thank you in advance for any assistance and suggestions from the group.

Scot

pedroj

Hi Alan,
I am using a 80-300 4.5.
Right now I am using shutter priority (400) and Auto WB and Auto ISO
I would be controlling the ISO to about 800...What aperture does the camera select

I have found using high ISO if the image is underexposed the noise is very difficult to remove...

Do you have a 50mm F1.8...If so you could shoot at a larger aperture F2.8 then crop it...I think you would end up with cleaner images...

scotzie

I would be controlling the ISO to about 800...What aperture does the camera select

I have found using high ISO if the image is underexposed the noise is very difficult to remove...

Do you have a 50mm F1.8...If so you could shoot at a larger aperture F2.8 then crop it...I think you would end up with cleaner images...

I have the 18-55 stock lens. The problem with that is access to the court area in many gyms. I will try the ISO suggestion tomorrow and maybe the smaller lens. I generally shoot at 180-250mm

pedroj

I have the 18-55 stock lens. The problem with that is access to the court area in many gyms. I will try the ISO suggestion tomorrow and maybe the smaller lens. I generally shoot at 180-250mm

With the 18-55 your largest aperture is still F4.5 so wouldn't be any better at letting in light..

What I meant was do you have a 50mm F1.8 prime lens? with one of these you can open your aperture up to F2.8 to let more ligght in..

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've done an indoor volleyball in a High School gym before with my D800E. I shot in M mode, 1/320, f2.8 to 3.2, Auto ISO to 3200, 21pt AF system. Like what Pedroj have suggested, get a prime lens or f2.8 to lower down you ISO a bit. 1 stop difference is huge from ISO 1600 and 3200 or 3200 and 6400.

silvertip

When I shoot volleyball I will use an f2.8 lens and set the aperture to f4 and shoot in aperture priority. The ISO is usually 800-1600. This will put the shutter speed around 1/250.

Kent