d800 battery grip

stmv

I see the price of the Nikkor D800 grip has reduced to the less insane price of 389 from the ridulous price of 650, still high, but closer to reality.

Now, I still can't see myself getting one. In the old film days, I used to get some grips for the motor drive, still hardly used them, but they were cool, just to hear that swirling sound / clicking sound.. remember that music?

I have gotten grips for D300 and D700, but they just collected dust. The cameras become even more bulky, and well, I have never had any issues controlling the camera in the veritical with the same controls.

Battery life is not bad now, so, the extended battery is a don't care. In the field, I don't like bulk, so,, hate the extenders.

In a studio setting, well, on tripod, and cable release anyway.

so, beyound maybe the look of making it look like a D4, even the reduced price is not enough.

Maybe,,,, at say 200 dollars. Yes, lots of after market ones exists, but I always find the shutter release and control dial to be too cheaply built. If you could get an after market one that matched the Nikon quality at say 150 or so,, now that would be more tempting.

Ruidoso Bill

I use Meike on both my D300 & D800, had one on the D200 which I sold and it was still working fine. Never had an issue. I shoot a lot of pics in the vertical and the extra shutter button and controls is a big plus for me.