Please Help !!

torgo

This almost sounds like a job interview question. :)

Anyway, my experience from owning the 50mm f/1.8 AF-D and the 35mm f/2 AF-D on my D50 is that I use the 35mm more. But that's because right now I'm usually following my 3 year old daughter around taking pictures of her, and the 35mm lets me get more in to show where she's doing what she's doing, not just a close-up.

The 50mm goes on sometimes too, when I want to get a little tighter, but the 35mm's angle of view is a little more forgiving when composing, and I find it easier to get closer rather than back up.

Technically, I've heard the 35mm f/1.8 is a pretty nice lens (nicer than the 35mm f/2, and cheaper too, but I got mine back before the 1.8 was out), and is pretty highly recommended. But I'd say the main answer will come from your shooting style - wider or tighter? If you have a kit lens that covers both 35mm and 50mm, I'd suggest taping it at 35mm for a day or two, and then at 50mm for a day or two, and see what you like most.

Or get both! Neither lens is particularly expensive. ;)

In order to give you a good answer, I'm going to have to ask what camera body you're going to be using. If it's the D90 (IIRC the other thread properly), then I'd suggest the 35mm f/1.8G lens.
I have both lenses (and a D300), and usually wind up with my 35mm lens on unless I'm shooting a specific format (half-length portrait, etc.) where the tighter crop will allow for more detail.

Hope this helps.

Nikonioi

Thank you all for your advice.

Especially you "torgo".I think I'll start with the 35mm first. (and Yes,it's a D90 that I'll be using)

Thanks again!!

Last edited by a moderator: