Buying a new lens, need help!!

rohitsapra

I am an amateur photographer, I have got a new D5100 but the lens I have is not good enough for long range zoom. It says its 18-55mm. I plan to buy 55-300mm lens. My question is will the new lens be able to click nearby objects just like my old lens (18-55mm).

Also, please guide me about how to know lenses their specs so that I must know what the thing is in actual?? that must really help me for purchasing a new lens.

stmv

there is a focal distance spec per lens, and no, you won't be able to get as close distance from object with the lens with the 55-300. The 18-55 allows you to get really close, almost macro lens close. A macro lens is designed to get close, and get what is called a 1:1 ratio shot. As far as the 55-300, it is a zoom, so even though you are not physically as close, you are still optically close if you zoom it to 300 mm at the closest distance that it will focus. Is it a 1:1 ratio, I doupt it, but still fun. Lots of people use zooms for dragon fly type shots.

Anyway, the 55-300 is a very good complimentary lens with the 18-55. I have the lens, and love it. I keep it on a pouch on my belt, and real easy to pull out, and use when needed. I have other pro level teles, but I have managed some very clear shots with this lens. Not as fast focus as a pro lens, but still, for the money, a good bet.

cbg

The 55-300 will not focus on subject that are as close to you as the 18-55 lens will. The 18-55 will focus on an object that is .9ft or .28 meters or further from the lens. The 55-300 will focus on an object that is 4.6 ft or 1.4 meters or further from the lens. So no, you won't be able to be as close to the object with the 55-300 as you are with the 18-55.

johncook

how much do you want to spend and what's the most important function you want to get out of your new lens?

if the 18-55 is not long enough for you (i.e. you cant zoom as far as you would like), you could pick up a 18-105mm nikon lens pretty cheap (kit lens on a lot of nikon DX cameras)

if you have a bit more money and want a really good all in one lens, the nikon 18-200 is very good (i've got this lens!)

I find that rarely do i need more than 200mm on my camera (D7000 - DX) which is equivalent to 300mm on a full frame. I've used the 18-200mm lens when i've gone to places like the zoo or the British open (golf) and its great.