Birthday’s Coming Up ….. Which Lens for My D800E Should Be Next?

Thatguy Steve

Well I just purchased my D800E as an early Christmas present for myself.

I currently have the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G.

My wish list has the usual suspects:

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Nikon AF-S Zoom Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G

But I can only buy one of these lens after the first of the year (and maybe two more before the end of 2013).

I'm more into general photography (portaits, landscape, etc.). But would like to do some macro stuff too eventually. Just trying to fill my bag up.

Which one would you choose first?

Get the most exspensive one out of the way first? Which one would be the most versitle out of the gate and help me cover most of the bases?

RockyNH_RIP

Steve,

I am a newbie so the experts will be here along soon to really help... Congrats on the early Christmas present..

Based on your likes to shoot... you may want something wider... and the 50 is a great portrait lens as long as you get close enough... I would be looking for a wide to medium telephoto zoom to get me a wider range of coverage..

Off your list it would be the 24 - 70... There are some others 18-105 & 18 to 200 That will get you a bit longer range but not sure of the price/review..

pat in NH

Mike150

Hey Steve,
Where in VA are you? I'm up in the hills a little north of Charlottesville.
Like you, I have debated on which lens to purchase. Why not try renting one and seeing how it works for you. I've used LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more in the past and they're really good to deal with. They're the reason I fell in love with the 70-300. My only problem is my wife won't give me the money. Keeps saying things like Santa needs it for the grand kids.

Thatguy Steve

Hey Mike,

I'm way up here in the bustling metropolis of Springfield .....

My wife hardly ever gives me grief ..... we both work .... so it's never really an issue.

But we do understand the grandchildren thing for certain ..... they will never be without ..... as long as Gugga & Old Pops are around .....

I don't think I need to do the rental thing on any of the lens on my wish list ..... I'l more than likely get them all (that's why I studied hard in college ..... so I can have all my toys) ..... I'm just looking for a logical order of purchase ....

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I chose the 24-70mm, followed by the 70-200mm, 85mm f1.4 and 16-35mm f4 in that order. Just buy one or two per year to make it more manageable.

If you stay away from forums, you might be able to resist the temptations or this so called "NAS". Congrats.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well I just purchased my D800E as an early Christmas present for myself.

I currently have the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G.

My wish list has the usual suspects:

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Nikon AF-S Zoom Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G

But I can only buy one of these lens after the first of the year (and maybe two more before the end of 2013).

I'm more into general photography (portaits, landscape, etc.). But would like to do some macro stuff too eventually. Just trying to fill my bag up.

Which one would you choose first?

Get the most exspensive one out of the way first? Which one would be the most versitle out of the gate and help me cover most of the bases?

Hi Steve,

I think your wish list is pretty good and if you get all that is there, you'll have the best. But, one thing comes to my mind is that all these are heavy and large. If you plan on traveling of hiking to get to the landscape shots, you might also consider getting an older slower lens. When I first got my D700, I wanted an all around lens and I got the Tamron 28-200. Now I know it's not the sharpest lens wide open, but when closed down to 8-11, it produces very nice pics. The big thing is that it weights nothing and I can carry it on my now D600 all day in a small fanny pack. This is now my main travel lens as I would not even consider traveling with the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8s. It would defeat the purpose of traveling. Now if I was going on a professional shoot, it certainly would be different.

Just don't forget than even the best cameras can be fun to take around just in case.

Enjoy your Nikon!

Me personally, I would want the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, but then I like a lot of reach.
(because you can't always walk forward to get something in focus) :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Steve,

I think your wish list is pretty good and if you get all that is there, you'll have the best. But, one thing comes to my mind is that all these are heavy and large. If you plan on traveling of hiking to get to the landscape shots, you might also consider getting an older slower lens. When I first got my D700, I wanted an all around lens and I got the Tamron 28-200. Now I know it's not the sharpest lens wide open, but when closed down to 8-11, it produces very nice pics. The big thing is that it weights nothing and I can carry it on my now D600 all day in a small fanny pack. This is now my main travel lens as I would not even consider traveling with the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8s. It would defeat the purpose of traveling. Now if I was going on a professional shoot, it certainly would be different.

Just don't forget than even the best cameras can be fun to take around just in case.

Enjoy your Nikon!

It is safe to assume that there will be more purchases to come your way. Don't forget about the camera support. Tripods and ballheads are another expenses including computer hard drives and memory cards that can slowly creep.

johncook

i'd go for the 24-70mm f2.8. I had a play with this lens recently and its AMAZING on FX!!

so sharp at f 2.8, you will love it on the D800E.

its quite bulky, so probably worth having a smaller travel lens for general purpose photography and save the "big gun" for special shoots / occasions (unless the size doesnt bother you, then i'd just use it all the time)

I've got the 50mm f1.4G also and love this lens.

good luck steve

WhiteLight

i have a very similar wishlist- the top 3 are identical along with the 105mm macro lens...
If it were me, i would buy the 14-24 2.8g first...
but that may just be me cos i love shooting landscapes & skies..
you won't go wrong with any of those you've listed, so take your pick

miknoypinoy

another vote for 24-70mm . . . I also own the 70-200 . . . but if I could only have one at the moment I'd pick the 24-70. super sharp super fast super expensive lol. . . good luck with your decision. . . of those on your list you should be happy with which ever one you decide.

I'm not afraid . . . YOU WILL BE. . . YOU WILL BE. . .