transfering picures, data cable or memory card reader?

roblade

ok this could be up there with the "oh look another noob question" LOL yes i have tried the search button :)

But having had a point and click and always removing memory card and using a card reader to transfer pics.

I am trying to find out which is the best way to transfer them and why.

I would guess there are pros and cons for both ways.

thanks for your help :)

Mike150

Hey Roblade. Welcome
I would say if you've been removing your card for this long, why stop now. It's quicker than using the serial port too.
Personally, I use the serial port. I'm clumsy and if I open the mem card door, I'll probably end up breaking it. Besides... I have several devices that use the same type connector so I just use it for everything.

stmv

I prefer plugging in the camera directly, less stress on removing the card, less risk of shorting the card, and worse, I have forgetten to put the card back in ! The Camera loads up quick enough with the USB cable for me.

eurotrash

I actually used the on-camera USB yesterday on my d7000. I did notice that it was quicker in transferring 4GB of data to my computer via USB2.0, much faster than my card reader would have. But I usually just use a card reader because it usually doesn't take exponentially longer and I'm just used to it that way.

Benefits of a card reader are USB3.0 (if applicable buss is available) That's really about it I think..

fotojack

I find it much easier to just whip out the card and plug it into my computer's card reader. No messing around with cables and draining the camera battery.

roblade

thanks for the input guys and girls.

As there is no major reason to go with one way over the other, i shall be sticking with the card reader option.