An eclipse through the eye of a D600...

Nikonitus

They said on the radio this morning there was supposed to be an eclipse mid morning. I didn't take much notice - Yeah, big deal...

That was until about 1/2 of an hour ago things just got DARK, within about 10 min. I launched at the D600 and went outside. I have not a single clue about pointing at the sun but I could look dead at this even with the naked eye and see the crescent sun... So I clicked away when the cloud coverage was there... Here's the better of the shots... Strike one to the D600, as I really didn't even adjust anything except the the sensitivity which I wound down to about -1 or -1.7 or something...

Closing my eyes I can still JUST see the purplish/yellow remnants of of the eclipse and looking at the sun....

Attachments

• DSC_0625Cr.jpg
    DSC_0625Cr.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 261

Nikonitus

True true,,
but if you have have seen just how dark it was, you'd understand why I got away with it. All of a sudden, I just realized it was like, oh, I'd say sundown outside and it was just after 10am here. It just got dark. I went outside and things eerily glowed orange/yellow. It was the strangest sight you ever saw. I put the D600 up to the eye and the shutter speed was reading exceptionally low when pointed at anything,, I use Aperture Priority. We're talking 1/20th,, 1/15th when normally it would be in the high hundreds or up to 1/2000th. Looking straight at the event was like looking at an oncoming headlight from a car or bike... I can see why in days gone by, people saw such events as the mark of bad times or evil etc. It was quite abnormal. Mind you there are those who still look upon these events as evil too, that or get on the broomstick and ride around town... I guess that's where the name of "Lunatic" came from...

Anyway, it was a great few minutes...