A quick "how to" on HDR

AC016

I always love watching Kai and the DigitalRev gang. Here is a short video on HDR. From what i know, Kai dislikes HDR. For those of you who love it - Ted... - it would be interesting to know what you think of the video.

Eye-level

Banned
I have never understood why HDR has so many detractors. I'm about as purist as a purist could get and I see HDR as another tool in the toolbox of photography.

JPar

I have never understood why HDR has so many detractors. I'm about as purist as a purist could get and I see HDR as another tool in the toolbox of photography.

I think it's definitely "cheating" a bit, and photos can start looking over-produced, but I don't care - I am a big fan of the effect.

JPar

How is it cheating? It's more work in my opinion.

It's "cheating" because you're bending the rules of lighting and going beyond what a normal camera can do.

Like I said, I don't care if people think it's cheating... I think it looks great, but it does have its place.

Rick M

I like cheating :).

There are some that think any PP is cheating. The world is in color, B&W photography is cheating too! Along with lenses, shutters, tripods...,

Rick M

Of topic here..Rick,I see you have three lens listed all primes, Is this the direction your heading...

It's not a bad option if yes..

Yes, I sold all of my other lenses! Waiting for the 18 and 135mm 1.8g's to come out and I will be complete :)

TedG954

I always love watching Kai and the DigitalRev gang. Here is a short video on HDR. From what i know, Kai dislikes HDR. For those of you who love it - Ted... - it would be interesting to know what you think of the video.

I found the video to be very interesting and I agree with about 95% of what he said. I particularly liked the "vomit of color" comment. I go through a violent internal fight every time I process a photo with HDR. I have an innate need to overdue the process. I tend to go too far. I'm getting better at it now that I'm taking medication. HDR is a great tool and it is a fun process. Sooner or later, you have to realize when enough is enough. For me, I take a lot of photos and an editor would be the best thing. Out of a 300-400 frame shoot, the editor might pick out 5 or 10 of my final results. That works for me.

As to cheating..... I totally disagree. If we both stand side by side in front of a subject and we both use a D600, what makes your product different from mine? In that scenario, you should just use a point and shoot and take the card to Walgreens for processing. HDR is no less valid than changing the settings on your camera or using a non-conventional angle. This is the "art" in photography. Without it, creative photography is a non-experience. HDR is a great tool and even abuse has its place. Art is in the eye of the beholder. (I just made that up.:rolleyes:) It's not for everyone, and that's fine. I don't like broccoli.

Hello, my name is Ted and I'm an HDR addict. :dejection::moody:

pedroj

I like some HDR images...The process can bring out hidden detail in the shadows...

I think it can be used effectively with sunrise/sunsets to lift the detail in the darker parts of the image..

Shoots808

I just watched it - I didn't find it pointless. He makes valid points. However, I like HDR as an art form rather than making my photos look realistic. :)

What was the point of that video? It kind of just rambled on. I understand the images shown during the video were horribly processed on purpose I guess, but they were poor in other ways as well. I just don't get it. If there was a point to all that, then what was it?

JPar

What was the point of that video? It kind of just rambled on. I understand the images shown during the video were horribly processed on purpose I guess, but they were poor in other ways as well. I just don't get it. If there was a point to all that, then what was it?

It was basically a reminder of what HDR is meant for and to keep perspective on it when you're using it.

Perfect for someone just starting to use it or someone who is using it incorrectly.