If you only had the choice to use primes?

DaveW

So if you had to cover a wedding with a DX camera, and zoom lenses had not been invented, what primes would you use?

I read on the net about one pro who only uses primes and D7000's so just wondered what you think?

WhiteLight

28mm 1.8g i think..
the IQ is great (not that the 35mm is not fantastic, but the 28mm is better) & it would serve the purpose oh so sweetly :)
i want!!

stmv

I would use 20, 28, 50, 85, 135, and well 200, because that is the issue, you can not always predict the spot and often the 200 is perfect for the unobtrusive shot from the back of the church looking up to the bride and the groom.

I sometimes do non primary bridal shooting, and guess I would recommend two bodies with zooms; one wide to mid, and second mid to zoom.

so, sure can do the Primes, but you have to really really plan your location/lens if you are limiting yourself to just two lens,

If I had to pick two, guess it would be 28 and 85.

Last edited by a moderator:

AC016

So if you had to cover a wedding with a DX camera, and zoom lenses had not been invented, what primes would you use?

I read on the net about one pro who only uses primes and D7000's so just wondered what you think?

Do you have a link to the story? It would seem that he would have to change lenses alot, i guess... How many lenses are we talking about? I have only ever filmed a wedding. Taking photos of one is something that i would never venture into, even if i were a pro photog of some sort.

aZuMi

For a DX, I'll use 14 2.8, 28 1.8, 60 2.8 macro, 85 1.4, 135 f2. Since it's DX, I won't bother for 200mm.

The 14 and 60 macro will cover many of the decor and interesting shots. The 28 will cover the mid range, 85 will cover longer range and 135 f2 will be the 200mm in fx.

Eye-level

Banned
A late model 28/2.8 Ais for group shots and details and a fast 85 either 85/1.4 or 85/1.8 Ais or a 85 AF Nikkor for portraits. Two lenses two bodies no changing lenses...the body preference for me would be a Fuji S5 Pro but anything D3000 and up would work.

Last edited:

RickSawThat

I would shake my head and wonder how did they invent a DX camera but not a zoom, then I would invent a zoom lens and make a mint after I patent it ;)

DaveW

I can't find the article, well more like a blog really.
It was about a guy from India who bought a camera and under advice from a photographer bought the 35mm 1.8 as an only lens to do street photography, and anything else. Then as he expanded his gear he kept to prime lenses rather than zoom. He mentions the old saying as zooming with his feet.

He's more like a semi pro than a full time pro because his primary job is something to do with printing. But he's covered more than a few weddings and formal events.
He has had positive feedback and offered lots more work and building up a good reputation.
This I might add has been over a few years, not someone who just bought a camera and then thought he was good.

My main interest in this was that he said he only uses primes and over the last year that is all I have been doing although I am heavily drawn to getting a Tokina 11-16 or 12-24.

Eye-level

Banned
24/28/35/50 are the classic FLs for street shooting and general photojournalism. 21/24 and wider are the classic FLs for landscape people. 85/105/135 are classic portrait lenses.