Dual Hard Drive Reminder

stmv

exerpt from blog 6:
well after 10 years, of backing up photos, one of my current external drives failed, and even my local repair shop can not recover the disk.

So a reminder to keep dual drives setups. Current drives are now 2 TeraBytes, these hold over a year of photos per drive, so a lot of photos. I do keep two drives, so now taking the hours and hours to copy over and recover the dual drive data.

so, for folks that are only on a single external drive (or computer drive) photo management system, consider during the upcoming Black Friday sales (world wide on Amazon), and buy your second drive.

you will be so glad you did, if you have a hard disk failure. Not like negatives, only as good as the magnetic state of the hard drive!

Wahugg

^This!

After being in the computer network business for over 10 years, big loss of data can be avoided so easily if people were using a raid 1 configuration.

I highly recommend this: LinkStation Pro Duo LS-WVL/R1 Network Storage

It comes reconfigured in a raid 0 for 2TB (two 1TB HDD) but 1TB in a raid 1 configuration is still plenty of room. Plus it can be accessed anywhere on the network, act as an FTP server, and it can act as a printer server for SOME printers. I have one (but swapped out the drives for a total of 5TB in raid 1 [Two 5TB drives])

-Wahugg

stmv

yup,, definitely keep track of two, I essentially created my on Raid system but not using canned software. and thank goodness, 2012 recovered, a bit of 2011 to go,, and will be back to the full data redundacy mode.

This winter I am going to finish moving my keepers of both the final edits and the source files up on my website, as one more form of precaution.

ABN Panzer

I've actually bought 1-2 large drives every Black friday for this reason alone.
I've even gone so far as to send one to my parents to keep at their house should somethng ever happen to my home.