MB-D14 Battery Grip Problems on D600

ajsorrell

Hello Everyone. I just bought my D600 over the weekend. I also got the battery holder (MB-D14) and an extra battery. Everything seems to work fine except: If I leave the extra battery pack on and battery in, after shutting off the power to the camera, when I turn the camera back on, it shows that it has a dead battery. If I remove the battery from the grip, it automatically powers up. I can then put the battery back in and it works fine.... I tried switching the two batteries but no change. I also verified that I don't have this problem if there is no battery in the battery grip. Any ideas? I am trying to figure it out on my own if I can, before taking the battery grip back for a replacement. Thanks in advance!

PapaST

yeah, that stinks. I would check your connector between the grip and camera and make sure it's debris free and no damaged areas.

But as pedroj said, it looks like a bad grip. I'd contact the seller right away.

Nikonitus

Have you also made sure in your setup that you have selected "Lithium" as the battery type if you are using an EN-EL15... Presuming that everything is "GENUINE" Nikon...!!!
Also, make sure to set the battery USE, too, which designates which battery to use first, e.g - MB-D14 or the D600...

Apart from that, I'd certainly be exchanging the grip, and making sure the new one works before I left the store...

Last edited by a moderator:

ajsorrell

Thanks for the quick feedback. I tried everything with the same results. :( I guess I will be headed back this weekend to exchange it... I just hope its not the camera.

aZuMi

This happened to me before.

Remedy: Use original Nikon battery in the Nikon MB-D14 and use aftermarket battery in the D600.

If that doesn't work, then it's a faulty grip.

Nikonitus

"If" it is a non Nikon battery then get rid of it. In my D80 (with grip) several years ago, I bought a couple of non Nikon batteries and virtually from day one, they just gave me trouble. Quick explanation of those terrible events...

I had the Nikon battery, inside the D80,, bought the grip which houses both batteries. Bought two extra batteries. They were Made In ***** replacements, which I didn't know any better about. Charged them all (3) up and placed 2 non Nikon batteries in grip. Worked well. After just a few uses, I noticed both replacement batteries, once charged up, only reading as 99% charged in the D80's menu "Battery Info". Genuine battery reads 100% when used. Cycled them a couple of more times. Still the same,, NEVER get 100% reading. Then it all started going to custard...

Repacement batteries suddenly would only take 5 to 10 minutes to charge up from approx 30% life left after using, to when the charger said fully charged (orange light stops blinking). Yet, put them in the camera and they read about no more than 50%. Charge them again and again. Each time the orange light stops after a handful of minutes and even if I leave the battery in for 2 or 3 hrs, still don't charge up. I tried this for about 3 - 4 days scratching my head all the time. I bought an expensive Lithium Ion battery charger, which seemed to work,, charging them to 100% but within seconds of viewing Battery Info, it went from 100% to 99% every time.. Then one of the replacements decides to go soft (not hold charge very well). It went flat after half an hour or maybe one hour at most when in the field...

Ok, had enough @^$#'ing around. Use only Nikon batteries from now. Uh-Oh,, now Nikon battery charger wont charge even genuine Nikon batteries. Tried again and again for a couple of days, but orange light goes out after approx 10 minutes and battery only charges up a few % now. Had a guts-full by this time. Wish I had never ever bought those damned batteries. Take the whole lot into camera shop and ask them what the heck is happening. I set it up on the counter and we leave the Nikon charger to charge Nikon battery. 5min,, 10min,, 15min,, 20min - 30mins, still charging. Murphy's law at its best. I stayed at the shop until battery charges right up,, approx 1 & 1/2 to 2 hrs and am red faced, not through embarressment but more through rage, but kept composure. Hey it all works again so I am happy now... The guy gave me 2 bits of advice - 1). Use only Nikon gear... 2). Get rid of third party batteries as they have seen this many times before...

Apparently those replacement batteries just confused the inbuilt circuitry chips in both charger and camera...

I bought another 2 Nikon batteries on the spot and happily went home. Those cheap batteries became satellites very soon after I got home...

No problems after that...

ajsorrell

I am using two Nikon batteries now (I think). I live in China so its hard to tell exactly what you are buying.... I am headed to the store this weekend to get a replacement grip hopefully. The good news is that I can reproduce the problem consistently so I can show the guy what it is doing very quickly.

fotojack

Genuine Nikon batteries are "chipped" to work with the charger, camera and battery grip. The charger, camera and grip "reads" the chipped battery. Third party batteries do not have this chip, therefor problems occur. As much as it pains me to spend the extra money on the genuine article, there is really no choice if you don't want problems. Any camera or charger damaged from using third party batteries voids the warranty. I was told all this by a Nikon rep just this past September.

ajsorrell

Not sure why everyone assumes I am using generic batteries.... I was using two Nikon batteries.

Anyway, the problem was one of the genuine Nikon batteries! My guy gave me two new batteries and it seems the problem has gone away. Yay!

ajsorrell

Bad news: The problem came back once I charged my two new batteries. Now I'm wondering if there is an issue with my charger. I will be taking everything back in once I get back from vacation. For now, I'm just using the MB-D14 with no battery inside. :(

ND600

This happened to me before.

Remedy: Use original Nikon battery in the Nikon MB-D14 and use aftermarket battery in the D600.

If that doesn't work, then it's a faulty grip.

This worked for me also.... Had the same exact problem as the Main subject of this thread. Placed the Nikon Battery in the Grip MB D-14 and placed the KAPAHEN battery in the Nikon body. But the lesson is to NEVER EVER buy anything non-nikon.

I was penny wise and pound (or Dollar) foolish. To spend over 3 grand on the camera and lens and then economize on the Grip as well as the battery!
Learned my lesson!
Thanks for sharing this.

ajsorrell

Just to confirm again, I never bought or used anything non-Nikon... I live in China and I question the quality of the brand name stuff enough that I won't dare buy the cheaper stuff.

Anyway, the solution to my problem has been found! The root cause was actually the Nikon battery charger... this is why I thought the problem went away with the new batteries (they were charged by a different charger than my own). Thus, the NIKON batteries, NIKON battery grip, and D600 were not the problem. I was able to try a different charger when a friend of mine bought a D7100 :). I'm just glad that they replaced the charger for free and I am problem free now! Hope this helps someone else down the road...