hello from kent UK

roblade

Big hello from down here in kent UK,

well did a little work with google and stumbled upon what looks like a gold mine of information, while i wait to take delivery of my new D3000. and yes i have been reading the manual (on line version)

Look forward to learning how to use this properly, being a complete novice other than the point and click pics, I thought the d3000 would be a nice little set up to start with as it has the "guide" function.

now off to browse the past posts

ROB :)

§am

Welcome fellow Brit :)

First thing to do after reading the manual and exploring taking pics with your camera....
Start saving money for 'more' gear!!!

You WILL buy more lenses, flashes, bags, etc etc, and you WILL feed your new found addiction :p

roblade

Thank you for the warm welcome guys and girls :)

Welcome fellow Brit :)

First thing to do after reading the manual and exploring taking pics with your camera....
Start saving money for 'more' gear!!!

You WILL buy more lenses, flashes, bags, etc etc, and you WILL feed your new found addiction :p

I know this feeling well LOL used to do "a little" airgun shooting (paper punching and tin plates) LOL and now got the same bug that bit me in that hobby.

Not even got the camera yet and already gone and bought a nice 55-200ml dx vr lens to go with it LOL

so far we have the following either here or on its way:

Nikon D3000
18-55mm dx vr lens
55-200mm dx vr lens

I am trying to do it on a tight budget at the moment so the 55-200mm lens is second hand.

on the shopping list is a decent "bounce" flash (thats one of my new words LOL a few days ago they were just flash guns LOL and a nice bag to store it all in and have to do some home work and see what filters do and how to use them best (not only as a nice protector for the lens)

now back to more camera "pawn" :p

ROB :)

§am

A budget bounce flash like the SB-400 will set you back around £110 (plus £15 Nikon cashback).

And pop down to your nearest Comet and have a look at the Manfrotto Bella V bag.
It's £40 there at the moment, but once they start doing the 50% it'll become a real bargain (but until then, it's a rip off Comet price!!)

roblade

Thanks for the advice, but i was one step ahead of you. Unfortunately i missed the lowepro bags being reduced at my local Comet store but did manage to pick up a case logic body and lens bag for £10 (down from rrp £39) and found a jessops 360afd on ebay brand new £25.

The jessops is a re-badged TUMAX DPT386AFZ, seems to be a decent flash and a bargain price. Does bounce and slave function (flash activated).

So its safe to say that this has been a budget set up kit:

camera + lens kit cost £200 (new but second hand)
55-200mm f4-5.6 DX ED (non VR) £47
camera bag £10
flash £25
remote £1.89

Total cost so far £284

now the only thing missing from my kit would be a nice prime lens, have got my eye on a Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f / 1.8 G for £130 at my local CEX store. So far i have managed to resist though LOL

§am

Is that brand new at your local CEX?

Amazon have it for £144.40 brand new if not (and you can get £20 cashback too)

roblade

I wish it were new and have seen then lens for similar money from a couple of places including the cash back offer.

But a little while ago traded a few xbox games in, so have had £50 voucher sitting here doing nothing. so thought it may was well go towards a prime until i can save the pennies for a 50mm.