What lens do i go for????

Ishey

Hi People i am looking for a wide angle lens for my D7000, but I'm stuck as what to go for:
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6
Nikon 10-24mm F3.5-4.5

i can afford any of the above but i get mixed reviews as to which one to go for, i assume going for the nikon is the best option??
but please help me make up my mind.

thanks Neil

nikonpup

i got the sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, price and reviews r what sold me. My first wide-angle, takes some getting use to.

Dave_W

The Dude
Nikon all the way. You get what you pay for in the land of camera equipment and there's a very good reason why Nikon lenses are so expensive. Not only that but they keep their re-sale value far better than non-Nikon lenses do.

D12345678

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX Lens Review

You might want to look at the Tokina in the above link... The link also compares many of the lenses you've listed above.... The Tokina is a serious piece of glass, and I'm very pleased with it...

I strongly agree with this. Before thinking too much about the other lenses you mention, take a look at a few reviews on the Tokina 116. I've been using one for nearly a year now and it constantly impresses me. They are a fantastic lens and built like a tank!

Topher

I think one of the only lenses that I would ever buy that isn't a Nikkor, would be the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. It's an awesome piece of glass for a dx sensor.

Last edited:

mashburn

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX Lens Review

You might want to look at the Tokina in the above link... The link also compares many of the lenses you've listed above.... The Tokina is a serious piece of glass, and I'm very pleased with it...
this is the Lens I am looking into. and I keep seeing a lot of people here saying good things about it. only thing is I do not now if I need the newer one or the older one. I have a D7000 and wonder if my auto focus would work on the older model. anyone know?

Fred Kingston

this is the Lens I am looking into. and I keep seeing a lot of people here saying good things about it. only thing is I do not now if I need the newer one or the older one. I have a D7000 and wonder if my auto focus would work on the older model. anyone know?

Yes, it will... Your camera has a focus motor in the body, and will focus the Tokina lenses...

grandpaw

I have the Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 and really like it but there are two things you need to consider before you buy a wide angle. The first is you need to think about what you will need and what will work for you in the future if you decide to go full frame and the other is just how much you think that you will really use this lens. I like having this lens for when it is needed but the times I have needed it are very few. Out of the six lenses that I have it is the least used and one that I would probably not replace if something happened to it. If you decide to get one I would strongly suggest getting something that will work on full frame. With the way the prices are coming down on the FX cameras I would never rule out the fact that you may end up getting one in the future and the DX lens will not work with it. When I bought mine it was something I just had to have but found out that I ended up using it a very small percentage of the time.

Last edited:

Stangman98

Hands down (from personal experience) the best DX wide is the Tokina 11-16 2.8
I plan on buying the brand new version in 2013. Just an amazing lens