commander mode

Ger

Hi , Am having a problem with the on camera flash not turning off in commander mode . Set the on camera to -- and it fires still . The off camera flash fires fine . Followed the manuals instructions on this but alas .... tried a different nikon flash but it was no different . Any help would be most appreciated . Ger

Fred Kingston

I asked this question before... and there really isn't a viable solution... but here goes...

One of the options in the "Assign Function Button" menu option is to turn off the flash... IOW, you have to assign the option of No Flash to the Function button, and then you have to hold the function button while the shutter is pressed... That seems kind of silly in a studio situation when you most likely are using a remote cable to trigger the shutter... holding a function button in that instance limits the stability gained by using the remote...

Maybe this thread will spur others to try this and report a more intelligent method to accomplish the same results... ;)

Ger

Thx Fred, appreciate the answer , i will try that in the short term but surely its a fault with the camera or firmware if it wont work as it says it should in the manual . A trip back to the shop might be in order .

Fred Kingston

Please keep us posted on your results... I would certainly like to know that I missed something obvious, and there is a simpler method...

PhotoAV8R

AIUI, the on-camera flash will always fire in Commander mode. When "--" is selected for the on-camera flash, it will not contribute to the exposure, but it has to fire to send commands to the remote(s). Kinda like a "pre-flash."

BWTHDIK

Fred Kingston

Press the flash button
flashbutton.jpg
to raise the built-in Speedlight. Position the light sensor windows on the optional Speedlights where they will be able to pick up the monitor preflashes from the built-in Speedlight (take particular care when not using a tripod). Note that when using the "Commander mode" the built-in flash will not be used to light the subject, only to control the other flash units. However, some light from the built-in flash may be seen in the final image. To prevent the control flashes emitted by the built-in Speedlight from appearing in photographs, use a low sensitivity/ISO and small aperture (large f/-number) and do not use the rear-curtain sync option. Ensure that the Speedlight's wireless remote sensor face camera.

Well I did find the above buried on another site... Don's answer sparked a few synapses of mine, and I went looking in a different direction...

Ger

Thank you PhotoAV8R and Fred.The manual clearly stated the built in flash does not fire but will emit pre flashes so that is kind of conflicting with it will flash but wont contribute to the exposure. I will try a few more shots when finished work later to check this out but I am fairly sure it was a full fire of the on camera flash . I think i was using low iso and small aperture for the shots but can not be sure until i get home and double-check . Again appreciate the help . Thanks