External Flash: Which to Pick

KevinB

Hello everyone,

I have recently bought a secondhand (6 months old) Nikon D3100, but it didn't come with an external flash and I am fairly certain I am in need of one. I am currently stuck in my choice as I am limited in budget and knowledge, but rich only in enthusiasm.

Some extra information:
- I own 2 objectives: the standard kit lens and the 35mm F1.8g nikkor lens
- I use a Lowepro Slingshot 102 AW camera bag

Purpose of my camera:
- vacation photos (nature, historical and cultural sights, outdoor)
- indoor fullbody model photos (poor to average lighting conditions)
- indoor events (poor to average lighting conditions)

The fullbody model photos are the most important ones for selecting my external flash.

I have three options:
- Secondhand Nikon SB600/700 (depends on luck, but below 175)
- Yongnuo YN 468 II (roughly 100 euros)
- Yongnuo YN 565 EX (roughly 150 euros)

I worry about one thing on the Yongnuo YN 468 II. I have read several tests that the power of the flash is not very impressive, but I am 100% clueless on what amount of light I need for my beginner/amateur antics. With the Yongnuo 565EX I am not worried about the power at all, but I heard it is very large compared to other external flashes. Would this cause the set to become a freak of nature when I try to use it on a small frame such as the D3100? A secondhand Nikon would be fine as well, but if I get more bang for buck with a Yongnuo, I'll sell my soul to the chinese without hesitation.

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

I will be interested in hearing the comments you receive. I have been looking at the same yongnuo (468II). I had read a couple reviews that spoke favorable and for the price I think it adds enough light for what I need. (Larger indoors areas than my living room, some Bounce for portraits and outdoor fill). I have not sprung yet, but it is on my list.

Pat in NH

Phillydog1958

i don't have anything against non-Nikon brands, but I'm partial to using Nikon products. I'd recommend the SB600 or 700. They're great products. The SB700 is much more user friendly, when compared to the SB600.

Rick M

If I were buying a flash I would get an SB700, save longer and get the best for your needs. I have the SB400 which is great for fill or for shots inside a house, but not a larger venue.

KevinB

I am noticing a large favoritism to Nikon gear, but the odds of me finding a good deal with secondhand Nikon gear would be far lower than finding a new Yongnuo flash from a trustable retailer. So I would really love to know more about the Yongnuo options. Particularly the power of the flash on the YN 468II and the size of the YN 565 EX on a D3100.

As I really want to stay below 150 euros if possible and I doubt that will be the case if I try to buy secondhand Nikon gear.

Last edited:

Tami Jo

I have yet to purchase a flash...but its on my list. I too will be curious to see all the recommendations. I have heard a bit about Nikons line. Not sure which is right for me. SB400, SB 600 SB 700, or a different brand even. So much out there to chose from. I dont believe Id use it all that much but who knows.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

fotojack

As I've always recommended before, and always will...can't beat the Nikon SB-700. If budget is an issue, I'd spring for the Yongnuo 565.

KevinB

According to the website that was linked the Yongnuo 468 has a power output of 26,5. Is that enough for indoor photography? It will be mostly regular roomsizes I figure. I would also love an answer on the question RockyNH just laid down :p

Last edited:

fotojack

Compare the two in these links. It's the best way I know to show the differences. I stick with my choice of the 565.

Yongnuo YN-565EX Wireless TTL Flash for Nikon | ThePhotoGadget.com

http://thephotogadget.com/en/content/yongnuo-yn-468-ii-i-ttl-flash-nikon

I'm not saying the 468 is bad. Of course it isn't! I'm just saying MY choice would be the 565. Just a personal preference. Ultimately it's up to the buyer to do their homework and research on the flash of their choice, and go with what's best for their particular needs. I just feel the 565 is a better flash and a better deal for the money.

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

Compare the two in these links. It's the best way I know to show the differences. I stick with my choice of the 565.

Yongnuo YN-565EX Wireless TTL Flash for Nikon | ThePhotoGadget.com

http://thephotogadget.com/en/content/yongnuo-yn-468-ii-i-ttl-flash-nikon

I'm not saying the 468 is bad. Of course it isn't! I'm just saying MY choice would be the 565. Just a personal preference. Ultimately it's up to the buyer to do their homework and research on the flash of their choice, and go with what's best for their particular needs. I just feel the 565 is a better flash and a better deal for the money.

Jack, thanks for the reply and comments... Please note I was not questioning your choice/opinion, in fact I respect yours! That is why I was asking, not to question you but to understand your logic & reasoning... Thank you!

Pat in NH

Just-Clayton

I went cheaper to start> I got the sunpak PZ42X. TTL and Manual functions. I have been using it for over a year. Just have to give it TLC due to the plastic mount. I then got the sb700. I do a lot of off camera flash and I can use the Pz42x as a trigger.

Topher

I have the SB-600, and have used the SB-700 on a few occasions. I would definitely recommend either one of these. The 700 is nice because it can be used as a commander if your camera isn't capable of doing lighting ratios as part of the CLS system. The SB-600 is also nice too though. It functions flawlessly on and off camera for me, and has enough power for just about any normal situation.

I went with the Yongnuo YN560 mainly because it was only $51 (£31.62) w/free shipping from Amazon. (I didn't want to spend $300-400 on a Nikon Flash only to mess it up)
I know nothing about using a flash, as I have never used any but the on camera ones on my old D3100 and my "new" D90. So I guess I will be learning about it pretty soon as the UPS man just dropped it off at my door about 1/2 an hour ago.

Here's the specifications on the YN560;

Brand: Yongnuo
Model: YN560
Circuit Design: Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT)
Guide No.: 58 Meters (ISO 100, 105mm)
Flash Mode: M, S1, S2
Zoom Range: 24, 28, 35, 50, 70, 80, 105mm
Vertical Rotation Angle: -7~90 Degrees
Horizontal Rotation Angle: 0~270 Degrees
Power Supply: 4×AAsize Batteries (Alkaline Or Ni-MH Are Usable)
Lighting Times: 100~1500 Times (AA Alkaline Cell Used)
Recycle Time: Approx 3s (AA Alkaline Cell Used)
Color Temperature: 5600k
Flash Time: 1/200s~1/20000s
Flash Control: 8 Levels Of Output Control (1/128~1/1), 57 Levels Of Fine Tuning
External Interface: Hot Shoe, PC Port And Eternal Charging Port
Wireless Triggering Distance: 20~30m Indoor, 10~15m Outdoor
Additional Features:The Electronic Flash Head Zooming, Sound Signal,
Automatically Saving Setting, PC Port, Power Saving Mode And Over Heat Protection

Bill. K
in FLA.

Last edited:

fotojack

Jack, thanks for the reply and comments... Please note I was not questioning your choice/opinion, in fact I respect yours! That is why I was asking, not to question you but to understand your logic & reasoning... Thank you!

Pat in NH

Pat, not to worry, I did not take it as your questioning me. :) Not at all. I just gave the best answer I knew. :) In fact, I'm rather glad you asked. It's all good, bud. :)
And you're very welcome, by the way. :)