Filter Holder

Tami Jo

I currently use cpl and the clear/uv when needed. The uv I only use if there is a lot of wind and dust to protect the lens. I am contemplating adding the Cokin Filter Collection soon though which have an assortment of filters including various ND/Grad ND and they seem nice and fit more lenses as they are square and go in a holder.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Rick M

I use CPL's occasionally. To save money, buy it for the largest lens you have and get step down rings to fit it on the smaller lenses.

Rick M

I like the screw on filters in the field so I can use the lens cap with it. The square filters are larger and more to fuss around with. It's really a matter of personal choice and your useage. Whatever you decide, buy the best you can, don't put a cheap filter in front of a good lens.

navcom

I use the Cokin style ND grad filters and have for years. I occasionally use a filter holder but quite honestly I almost always hand-hold them.

Jeff

WhiteLight

I use the Cokin style ND grad filters and have for years. I occasionally use a filter holder but quite honestly I almost always hand-hold them.

Jeff

Jeff what holder do you use? Would that be compatible with d5100 or is it universal?

Sent from my Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Tami Jo

Jeff

How does that seem to work for you Jeff? Do you find the quality is affected with the hand holding of the filter? It would simplify changing as the light changes. I have heard some good things about their ND Grads so they are on my list. And with a variation in lens sizes it may be the cheapest in the long run. Unless I happen to pick up some step down rings and buy larger filters.

stmv

filters can be such a pain, which is one reason that when I want to use filters, I use my old manual prime or afd prime lens. From 20mm (3.5), right yup to 200 mm all 52 mm,, so nice. So, I can keep a stack of 52 mm filters in a filter case (real small can throw in a pocket), in the case I'll throw in in some neutral density say .6 and .9 for water falls, and of course circular Polarizer.

I have corkin, but find the holder kinda bulky, rather just take bracketed shots. I like the idea of hand holding keep it simple. I'll try that.

Lately, I have been shooting often with just the glass, and well being careful to not abuse the lens.

navcom

Whitelight and TamiJo...

I use the Cokin system so that is the style of holder I have. You buy an adapter ring that slides into the filter. This ring comes in different sizes so you get the adapter that works with your particular lens size. Here is a overview of the system...

_IGP8126.jpg

I've not really noticed any problems hand holding an ND grad. As long as you are careful not to move the camera while holding it, it works fantastic. Between you and me, it's not a precise science anyway. Get close and you will be fine. Just make sure to place the transition zone as best as possible.

I've used filters for 25 years but I also use HDR software, exposure fusion, and exposure blending. It just depends on the scene and the composition. I prefer the filters for two reasons. One, they are quicker than post processing with the other methods. Two, for the sake of quality and color rendition, since you are altering the light before you capture it versus modifying prerecorded pixels later.

This is one I shared on the forum before that I used a 3-stop reverse ND grad to create...

Even when I use a filter, I still bracket my shots two ways. The first is a series of 5 or 7 images spot metered to cover the whole range and the second is an averaged metered shot of the foreground and another averaged metered shot of the background (and possibly a shot or two in-between). The 5-7 series is used in HDR software and the 2-4 series is used for blending and enfusion. It was no different for this shot but no matter how hard I tried, I could not get this color depth and rendition with HDR or blending/enfusion.

If you are interested, I was asked to write an article for the professional filter manufacturer Singh Ray about why I like filters over post. I'm not a "paid spokesman" for them...just a writer...but I do used many of their tools...

Focus on Singh-Ray Filters: Jeff Bartelt relies on his Singh-Ray Filters for a very obvious reason: he likes faithful color

Jeff

Tami Jo

Whitelight and TamiJo...

I use the Cokin system so that is the style of holder I have. You buy an adapter ring that slides into the filter. This ring comes in different sizes so you get the adapter that works with your particular lens size. Here is a overview of the system...

View attachment 20405

I've not really noticed any problems hand holding an ND grad. As long as you are careful not to move the camera while holding it, it works fantastic. Between you and me, it's not a precise science anyway. Get close and you will be fine. Just make sure to place the transition zone as best as possible.

I've used filters for 25 years but I also use HDR software, exposure fusion, and exposure blending. It just depends on the scene and the composition. I prefer the filters for two reasons. One, they are quicker than post processing with the other methods. Two, for the sake of quality and color rendition, since you are altering the light before you capture it versus modifying prerecorded pixels later.

This is one I shared on the forum before that I used a 3-stop reverse ND grad to create...

Even when I use a filter, I still bracket my shots two ways. The first is a series of 5 or 7 images spot metered to cover the whole range and the second is an averaged metered shot of the foreground and another averaged metered shot of the background (and possibly a shot or two in-between). The 5-7 series is used in HDR software and the 2-4 series is used for blending and enfusion. It was no different for this shot but no matter how hard I tried, I could not get this color depth and rendition with HDR or blending/enfusion.

If you are interested, I was asked to write an article for the professional filter manufacturer Singh Ray about why I like filters over post. I'm not a "paid spokesman" for them...just a writer...but I do used many of their tools...

Focus on Singh-Ray Filters: Jeff Bartelt relies on his Singh-Ray Filters for a very obvious reason: he likes faithful color

Jeff

That is a fantastic shot. I hope you printed a large copy and displayed it on your wall. I will definitely check the article out too. Thanks for the information Jeff!

navcom

Ironically, I don't have this one on the wall! Our house is about out of wall space as my wife is also an oil painter. I have to arm wrestle her for the display footage. ;)

It has sold pretty good though, especially locally where the shot was taken.