Theme Park Lens

Dooku77

In my kit I currently have a 35mm 1.8, 18-50 and a 50-200mm lenses. I am going back to Disney in 6 months so I have time to save up for another lens or sell 2 of the lenses. Do any of you recommend the do it all 18-200 or stick with my kit? I'm trying to eliminate changing lenses much. Thanks

Willie C

Geoffc

I think you'll find a few on here would recommend the 18-200. For a do it all lens it returns great results. Obviously not as good as a prime but good for your purposes. My wife and I both have one a like them. My only suggestion would be to look at the 18-300 which provides similar image quality but gives greater zoom. It is also bigger so it may be more than you want to carry around.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
You might be able to get away with your 35mm f1.8G DX but there are times when you are watching a parade which prevents you to zoom in and out of the crowd. I always prefer a zoom lens when it comes to this situation. So, my suggestion would be your Sigma 18-50mm which will work well.

Dooku77

I think you'll find a few on here would recommend the 18-200. For a do it all lens it returns great results. Obviously not as good as a prime but good for your purposes. My wife and I both have one a like them. My only suggestion would be to look at the 18-300 which provides similar image quality but gives greater zoom. It is also bigger so it may be more than you want to carry around.

If the 18-300 is not as long as the 70-300 than the size will be OK. I'll look at the 18-300 on amazon.

Willie C

Tami Jo

I think if you bring your Sigma 18-50 along you will be set. That way you wouldn't have to change lenses and your bag would be slightly lighter.

Dooku77

You might be able to get away with your 35mm f1.8G DX but there are times when you are watching a parade which prevents you to zoom in and out of the crowd. I always prefer a zoom lens when it comes to this situation. So, my suggestion would be your Sigma 18-50mm which will work well.

Since I have purchased my 35mm I haven't removed it from the camera. Absolutely great lens. If Santa doesn't bring me an 18-200 or 18-300mm lens I'll bring my 18-50 or buy a used all purpose lens.

Willie C

Dooku77

I think if you bring your Sigma 18-50 along you will be set. That way you wouldn't have to change lenses and your bag would be slightly lighter.

If I don't purchase a do it all lens then I decided just to bring my 35mm and my 18-50mm.

Willie C

stmv

depends on your budget, when I first started shooting with a D80, I really like the 18-200, it was nice to walk around with a single lens. and when traveling that zoom reach can be awesome. When I travel, I used a two lens system of wide angle zoom and tele zoom, keeping a side pouch on the belt for quick lens swaps.

Ok, is the zoom as good as prime, nope, but remember that a missed picture and compositionmay be more important then the few degrees of less distortion.

Tami Jo

If I don't purchase a do it all lens then I decided just to bring my 35mm and my 18-50mm.

Willie C

I think you will be happy with that choice. You may get some shots you would have otherwise missed and a slightly different perspective with that focal length. When are you going?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Dooku77

I think you will be happy with that choice. You may get some shots you would have otherwise missed and a slightly different perspective with that focal length. When are you going?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Six months so I have some time to save up for a new lens. A lot of the ride ques are dark so my 35mm would be perfect in that respect. I don't plan on attaching a super large flash either.

Willie C

stmv

gave this some more thought, how about a 105 macro, allows you mild tele photo, and macro shots (lots of flowers and interesting things in amusement parks), then either with cargo pants, or just one SMALL lens belt pouch, you can carry the lens. Two lens kit, 35 for the wide angler, and the 105 for tele, and people portraits, and macro shots.

Plus, the 105 is a great lens to include in your base kit anyway.

Dooku77

gave this some more thought, how about a 105 macro, allows you mild tele photo, and macro shots (lots of flowers and interesting things in amusement parks), then either with cargo pants, or just one SMALL lens belt pouch, you can carry the lens. Two lens kit, 35 for the wide angler, and the 105 for tele, and people portraits, and macro shots.

Plus, the 105 is a great lens to include in your base kit anyway.

To be honest I've never thought about purchasing a 105mm lens. That will give me something to look at tonight while its snowing. Thanks

Willie C

fotojack

There's always the 18-105 lens, too. Great walk around lens for everyday use. Oh, and while I'm at it.....get yourself a decent monopod, too. :)

Dooku77

There's always the 18-105 lens, too. Great walk around lens for everyday use. Oh, and while I'm at it.....get yourself a decent monopod, too. :)

I was actually looking at the 18-105 last night. Its cheap enough and I just put a nice monopod in my amazon cart.

Willie C

WhiteLight

I was actually looking at the 18-105 last night. Its cheap enough and I just put a nice monopod in my amazon cart.

Willie C

Hi Willie
So you decided to go with a monopod?
Is it an addition to the tripod or you didn't pick it up?
i recollect discussing tripod a couple of weeks back..

Dooku77

I didn't get the tripod. Santa will be bringing that soon. I ended up choosing the Sirui 6 section carbon monopod. I figure its small and light enough to bring to a theme park.

Willie C