Opinions on Remotes for the D800

Thatguy Steve

Looking through the list of D800 accessories I noticed many optional remote units available.

Prior to my D800E I had a D7000 and the Nikon remote unit which came in very handy.

For my D800E I’m thinking either the MC-36 or ML-3 but was looking to get some opinions before I pull the trigger.

Any points or concerns I need to be aware of?

Or ..... other recommendations?

Dave_W

The Dude
I have the MC-36 and love it. The only thing I don't like is the fact you can't actually turn it off. It goes to "sleep" but continues to seep battery power nevertheless. Also, I've some bad news for you. The D800 will not work with the ML-L3, so that should make your choice a little easier. :)

Dave_W

The Dude
Just noticed though you mentioned the ML-L3 .....

I was referring to the ML-3 Infrared Remote .....

Oh...you're right. I was thinking of the small remote that I used on my D7000. I have no experience with the ML-3 but I do have experience with the ML-L3 and with that device you have to put it in front of the camera on the camera's right side in order to activate the shutter release. I found it annoying that I couldn't stand behind my camera or to the left side of the camera to use the device. So with my D7000 I tended to use the wired remote more often than the wireless. Perhaps the ML-3 doesn't suffer from this problem but I would check and make sure it's doesn't have the same issue as the ML-L3 does.

Thatguy Steve

Yes, I just did some more digging and the ML-3 did get half decent reviews but ..... it is still line-of-sight .... I think I'd be better off with the MC-36A ...... and if I have to be in the shot .... I'll use its timer ....

Again, thanks ......

BackdoorArts

You guys are confusing me. ML-L3 is the small infrared remote with no side attachment. I use it with my D7000 and it works great, even from behind. Kinda bummed it doesn't work with the D800. I love being able to stick the camera on a tripod near the hummingbird feeder and fire away from across the deck. A significantly less expensive solution than the ML-3.

Dave_W

The Dude
You guys are confusing me. ML-L3 is the small infrared remote with no side attachment. I use it with my D7000 and it works great, even from behind. Kinda bummed it doesn't work with the D800. I love being able to stick the camera on a tripod near the hummingbird feeder and fire away from across the deck. A significantly less expensive solution than the ML-3.

You must have placed your camera in a place with lots of reflection because I can't get it to trigger my D7000 when I'm inches from it but on the back side. I have to hold it in front of my camera to trigger the shutters. And it's not just me, nearly everyone who has used this wireless device has this problem because the receiver is in the front of the camera

BackdoorArts

Don't know what to tell you, but I've used it many times in this way and never had to move to the front - whether from 1 foot away or 12 feet across the deck. Very little in the way of reflective sources around as well. Maybe I have a hole in the back of mine?! ;)

RockyNH_RIP

I also have the ML-L3 for my D5100. I have triggered from front or rear at 12 feet or so away from the camera. The D5100 has 2 IR receivers... one fron and one rear.

Pat in NH