18-105 lens

Mike150

Check your order. Places like BHPhoto will sell the D7000 in a "Body Only" format in which case no lens is offered.
They also offer kits that include the 18-105mm lens or even an 18-200mm lens kit. Check with the seller.

Vsteel

When I traded up my D90 to the D7000 I kept the 18-105 kit lens from it. Just px'd the D90 body.
It works just as well on the D7000 as it did on the 90.
Funny thing is the frame rate has increased from 4.5 to 6.
Video has gone from 720 to 1080p.
And an extra memory card slot has appeared.
Even the auto focus has changed from 11 to 39 points.
Its amazing what a lens can do. :D:D;)

sourab89

When I traded up my D90 to the D7000 I kept the 18-105 kit lens from it. Just px'd the D90 body.
It works just as well on the D7000 as it did on the 90.
Funny thing is the frame rate has increased from 4.5 to 6.
Video has gone from 720 to 1080p.
And an extra memory card slot has appeared.
Even the auto focus has changed from 11 to 39 points.
Its amazing what a lens can do. :D:D;)

They are the features of the D7000, the lens didnt do anything :D good that you kept the 18-105mm, its an awesome lens !!

ideacipher

Wish I had a super zoom. Currently I'm not in the market but would be good to have around. The 18-105, 18-200, 18-300 would all be very nice to have. Nikon lenses are great so hold on to that puppy unless you trade up to a wider range like the 200 or 300.

RSNovi

I owned my D7000 for about a month and my camera bag was knocked of the shelf. It landed on its bottom but the weight of the 18-105 lens busted the plastic mount. I was able to fix it, but I read about many people having problems with the plastic mounts.

rufous03

Would anyone know why the 18-105 vingettes at 105mm? No filters, no lens hood. Actually does it at all ranges, but more noticable at 105

Dave_W

The Dude
I suspect it's because you generally keep the lens at its widest aperture, in which case nearly all lenses will vignette. Some more than others. Try shooting at ~1.5 to 2.0 stops from the lowest and I think you'll find much less vignetting.

rufous03

Ahh, that explains it. Try setting your A = 9 and I predict the bulk of the vignetting will go away.

Thanks, I thought it might be that, but have never run into that problem with my Canon lenses, just started playing with the Nikon as I won it in a photo contest

WhiteLight

Bumping this to get some advice.. Picking up the D7000 soon as you may have gathered from the 'Canon!!' thread... I would still be holding on to my D5100 & lenses - 35mm 1.8g, 18-55 kit lens & the 70-300 vr.. Should i be going in just for the body or the 18-105 lens as well? Does it perform any better than the 18-55?

Dave_W

The Dude
Bumping this to get some advice.. Picking up the D7000 soon as you may have gathered from the 'Canon!!' thread... I would still be holding on to my D5100 & lenses - 35mm 1.8g, 18-55 kit lens & the 70-300 vr.. Should i be going in just for the body or the 18-105 lens as well? Does it perform any better than the 18-55?

I would say no. You have that focal length covered nicely as is, IMO, and would advise you to save up your pennies to buy a professional lens some day. Once you do use an expensive pro-level lens you'll understand why I say this. It's kinda like Eve taking a bite out of the apple, once you've tasted the sweetness of a pro lens there's just no going back... so to speak.