New Member from Kailua, Hawaii :)

adairable

Hi everyone! I am a new member from Hawaii. Originally from West Virginia/Virginia. I decided it was time to join and stop asking my only photography friend a bazillion questions all the time. Plus he moved to Germany and it makes it harder.
So I just bought a used D200 (from said friend, he just got a new camera). It is my first "big girl" camera. I am using it daily but I want to know new things everyday and I am full of questions.
Today's questions:
1. Is there some way I can re-attached the rubber pad on the bottom of the camera? My tripod tore it off and it's just loose in general. Along with a lot of the rubber areas actually. I think Hawaii humidity is just deadly on adhesives.
2. What kind of cleaning kit would you recommend? Links to amazon make me :)
3. What kind of tripod would you recommend? Please keep in mind I am a teacher on a budget ;)
4. What is the best website to host my photos?
5. Where do I start?! Right now I just shoot whatever tickles my fancy but being a teacher I kind of crave "assignments." Any recommendations on a regimen or workbook or a site or a free teacher, lol?

OK, I know I am new so I will try not out wear out my welcome. Yet.

PapaST

Welcome aboard Adairable!!!

1. I'm not too sure about reattaching rubber. But if it's what I think (rubber onto plastic/metal and not electrical components) then any quality adhesive should work.

2. One item I use is a Giottos Rocket Blower. I feel better using this on my lenses than solutions. Sometimes you have no choice but for the most part I just blow things off.

Amazon.com: Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Black: Camera & Photo

3. They have very inexpensive tripods but you get mixed results with quality on these items. They don't always perform as well as middle to higher range tripods. I would read reviews as a start to the tripods you're interested in. This one you'll probably have to do more research and decide what works for you.

4. I use this site and Flickr.com. There are a ton of options out there.

5. I believe in learning the fundamentals of what makes a good photograph and what elements make a photograph great. But ultimately I shoot images that appeal to my tastes. One thing you could try is entering the photograph contests on this site. That should be a great assignment for you. And submit your photos to the Critique forum to get feedback on your work.

Hope that helps.

Tami Jo

Welcome! Congratulations on you new D200, or new to you anyway. I am sure you are enjoying it and the features you have discovered thus far. Its a fantastic Camera. What a good friend you must have. Not many want to share their old Nikons. They are often saved and become backup bodies. The first thing I would recommend is read the manual. Did your friend provide that for you with the camera? If not, you should be able to download a copy from www.nikonusa.com I also recommend reading through the thread here for your model of camera. Is this your first dslr ? What type of photography are you interested in? Suggestions will flow once we know a bit more information. I second the Giottos Rocket Blaster recommendation. It really helps keep the dust off yout lenses, filters and camera sensor.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Welcome to Nikonites! You can ask a bazillion of questions here and there are tons of folks here ready, willing and able to help.

Just don't waste your $ on cheap tripods, they are weak, don't last and may collapse with camera/lens weight. I got an older used manfrotto on ebay, love it, not for going on a hike with but rock solid with even the heavy lenses.

Like Papa said, any good quality adhesive. I would clean it with isopropyl alcohol.

There are many great resources for photography on the net, just google it.

adairable

Thanks for all the helpful information everyone. I am excited to be a part of this community. I have a bunch of questions and I know this will be my number one resource for getting them answered.

Tami Jo this is my very first dslr. I am doing everything in my power to use it on manual and make myself learn :) Gets frustrating though.
And I am not sure what kind of photography I like or would like to pursue. I know that I appreciate it all. If I look at photography I am really drawn to it is usually portrait and landscape but I am not happy with my landscapes at all. And as for portraits I am still not there yet :/ Also, I am a traveler/adventurer by nature and documenting that is very important to me. OH! And I love, love, love dog photography :) Maybe because I have an obsession with my dog though...

Tami Jo

Thanks for all the helpful information everyone. I am excited to be a part of this community. I have a bunch of questions and I know this will be my number one resource for getting them answered.

Tami Jo this is my very first dslr. I am doing everything in my power to use it on manual and make myself learn :) Gets frustrating though.
And I am not sure what kind of photography I like or would like to pursue. I know that I appreciate it all. If I look at photography I am really drawn to it is usually portrait and landscape but I am not happy with my landscapes at all. And as for portraits I am still not there yet :/ Also, I am a traveler/adventurer by nature and documenting that is very important to me. OH! And I love, love, love dog photography :) Maybe because I have an obsession with my dog though...

So it sounds like you already have a keen sense of direction. Follow it:eek: If you pursue what you love, you will surely excel at it. When you are passionate about something it comes through the lens and captures the viewer. That's what you are after. Enjoy the learning process it's a long one but well worth any effort I've found. I am enjoying the process immensely! I don't think you could truly ever exhaust the field of photography. It's limitless...Those horizons keep expanding and new photo opportunities come and the journey continues. I love shooting Landscapes and Pets and some people...But I am trying to perfect my portraits as participants allow. I seem to know a bunch of people who do not view the camera as their friend. But Pets are amazingly cooperative, almost always. I think they enjoy seeing you focusing on them and giving them the extra attention and if that happens by photographic means they aren't too concerned... I look forward to seeing some of your work Adairable.

Last edited:

adairable

Thanks Tami Jo! I need to set up a routine almost. To learn and explore my camera. I really have two beautifully photogenic dogs and I have yet to really photograph them. There is a a lot I want to do and a lot for me to learn. Another issue, I don't want to make $$ doing this but I know that I will need to if I want to continue buying equipment. I know it is only time before I want a new lens.

I am taking photos for friends for the Marine Corp Ball tomorrow and Saturday so I am excited and nervous. I have done one shoot for the one friend and she wanted to pay me this time so the pressure is one!!!

Shoots808

Aloha adairable. Welcome aboard. There is no shortage of stuff to shoot here in Hawaii nei so get out there and start shooting. Post up your pics here for C&C.

adairable

I had my first shoot yesterday! Please take a look at the 3 photos and give me your feedback! I posted in the "Suggestions and Feedback" area. I am sure there is a way to link to it but I am still learning ;)

fotojack

Adairable...if you Private Message me your email address, I will send you something for your D200 that you will find quite valuable! :) It will make it so much easier for you to take pictures using all 4 banks of your camera.