Zenfolio?

Dave_W

The Dude
I like it, so far. Slightly cheaper than SmugMug and seems to offer more features at the lower "pro" price. I find the ability to upload photos directly from Lightroom to be very convenient and saves the extra step of finding the JPEG or reproducing a second JPEG.

On the yet-to-be-determined category, I've not found how to completely revamp my homepage instead of just modifying their existing templates. I've been assured it's possible but will require a little more knowledge about HTML than I currently have. Case in point, they give you a list of homepage "examples" and many of them are awesome, however, none of the nicer examples are accessible through their templates and require more manipulation. However, I'm told that building a page completely from scratch isn't all that hard once you get a feel for the software.

Dave_W

The Dude
You know, this option took me awhile to figure out and the following is how I see it (and may not reflect Zenfolio's official position). At the Premium level ($120) it allows you to sell images that are then either sold as digital downloads or as images that can then be sent to one of their in-house vendors for printing and supposedly you cannot fill your own orders. However, you can set it up so that orders have to be "okay'ed" by you before either thing can happen. With that option checked, you can then intervene in any order and offer the client to purchase the prints directly from you instead of going thru their vendors. Not only that but you can also take the entire transaction off-site and work directly with the client and not have to deal with the 8% fee Zenfolio charges allowing you to offer the savings to the customer. So it seemed to me that paying the $250 ($300 with SmugMug) to offer services directly was just a waste of money given that you can work directly with the customer at the lower rate. Granted, I'm sure Zenfolio would not be very pleased that we are bypassing their fee structure but hey, there's nothing in your agreement that states you have to cut them in on profits from your own work.

Rick M

I've sold through their partner labs and customers say they came out great and shipped excellent. I like the idea of them handleing the CC transaction at this point.

RockyNH_RIP

I have narrowed my search down to Zenfolio.
Looking for pro's and con's from current users.

Just curious if you firmed up your descision yet and if you got signed up?? I am looking at them also.. somehow the appearance/flow of smugmug just did not appeal to me, this seem a little more professional in appearance.. (in my lame opinion)

Pat in NH

John P

Just curious if you firmed up your descision yet and if you got signed up?? I am looking at them also.. somehow the appearance/flow of smugmug just did not appeal to me, this seem a little more professional in appearance.. (in my lame opinion)

Pat in NH

I agree with you. I plan to get it set up after the holidays. Just too busy right now.

RockyNH_RIP

I agree with you. I plan to get it set up after the holidays. Just too busy right now.

Ok, be sure and let us know how it works out... I am likely gonna try the 14 day free trial after Thanksgiving, then sign up if all goes well... Watching for current discount codes too.. plenty of $10 ones.

Pat in NH

eurotrash

I haven't really liked any of the options out there. Like someone said already, there's no way to really edit the pre-existing templates to your liking. It's much better to pay someone or to create yourself if you have the know-how) a site from scratch yourself, setup your own pay-per-photograph service through paypal and credit cards and have a field day with it. The benefit is HUGE profit margins and infinite customizability. The world is your oyster in this case. With the other options, you're stuck with whatever templates they offer and your site won't be quite as unique as they could be. Just my honest opinion, of course..

Dave_W

The Dude
I haven't really liked any of the options out there. Like someone said already, there's no way to really edit the pre-existing templates to your liking. It's much better to pay someone or to create yourself if you have the know-how) a site from scratch yourself, setup your own pay-per-photograph service through paypal and credit cards and have a field day with it. The benefit is HUGE profit margins and infinite customizability. The world is your oyster in this case. With the other options, you're stuck with whatever templates they offer and your site won't be quite as unique as they could be. Just my honest opinion, of course..

That's not completely right, you can still build a site from scratch with Zenfolio using Dreamweaver or WordPress and you would essentially be paying them to host the site and provide unlimited storage ability. But there would still be the issue of cutting them in on whatever you sell.

RockyNH_RIP

Ok, be sure and let us know how it works out... I am likely gonna try the 14 day free trial after Thanksgiving, then sign up if all goes well... Watching for current discount codes too.. plenty of $10 ones.Pat in NH

Ok, when I got back from Thanksgiving, I needed to set up something for the family photo's so I went ahead and signed up for the 14 day Zenfolio Trial and set up a site with a bunch of my stuff...Seems to be working ok, have some fine tuning etc to do... but it looks like I am going to sign up when the trial run ends. You can actually do quite a bit of customizing...

An Assortment of my Photo Images

Have a great day!

Last edited: