Macro flash recommendations

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I just ordered the Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR macro lens. I would like to ask if anyone shoots macro and what kind of flash do you recommend i.e. ring flash, speed light with diffusers, etc. Thanks.

Geoffc

I have the Nikon R1C1 system minus the SU800. You can control it by using the in built flash as a commander. I built my kit from used components and ended up with four flash units instead of two. It's a nice system but I've nothing to compare it with.

stmv

depends on what I am shooting, If I have control over the shooting time, I prefer to set up mulitiple spot lights that are set up for exact position and angle.

I have been tempted to get one of those ring flashes, maybe this winter. otherwise, I like to tether my flash unit so, I can control the distance/angle again separate from the camera that is on a tripod.

Outside, almost never use flash except to occasionally flash fill.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have the Nikon R1C1 system minus the SU800. You can control it by using the in built flash as a commander. I built my kit from used components and ended up with four flash units instead of two. It's a nice system but I've nothing to compare it with.

Thank you for your suggestion. Definitely worth considering if it offers best performance. Although sometimes I hesitate on buying something a little expensive but in the end my goal is to buy things right the first time instead of getting something that is mediocre and hating myself after trying it due to its performance.

depends on what I am shooting, If I have control over the shooting time, I prefer to set up mulitiple spot lights that are set up for exact position and angle.

I have been tempted to get one of those ring flashes, maybe this winter. otherwise, I like to tether my flash unit so, I can control the distance/angle again separate from the camera that is on a tripod.

Outside, almost never use flash except to occasionally flash fill.

This is actually a good tip. I guess shoot with good light is the key which will negate the need for a flash. The only thing is sometimes if I want to take pictures after work, it is already too dark outside.

fotojack

It's cold outside. I'm bored. Decided to fool around with my studio light and flash. This is the shot I took:
DSC_0212.jpg

And this is the "studio" I shot it in. lol Fancy, huh? :)

DSC_1439.JPG

RockyNH_RIP

It's cold outside. I'm bored. Decided to fool around with my studio light and flash. This is the shot I took:

And this is the "studio" I shot it in. lol Fancy, huh? :)

Nicely done Jack and I like the minimalist studio!! I will have to try something like that (with direct light as I do not have multi flash units..

How/what did you use to change the background to Blue?

Pat in NH

fotojack

On camera left is the studio flash unit set to 1/4 power, through small umbrella. Camera right is my SB700 flash set to half power. Above, out of camera shot, are fluorescent lights. That's what turned an otherwise black background to blue. It's just the lighting. :)

WhiteLight

SO Glenn, did you decide on the macro flash or even pick one up?
i am interested in one too & have been very interested in the R1C1 system.
Let us know how it goes