What's the best possible use of my new d3100?

TedG954

The 18-55 kit lens is highly under estimated. I won't say "under rated" because every review I've read says it is a great lens. You can use it for anything your little heart desires. Just do it.

wysiwyg

Remember that your camera is just a little box ... and the lens is just a piece of glass ... its how you see the world around you - and how you capture it that matters. Have fun and don't think too hard about things and you will create something special.

nikonpup

see "around my yard" 18-55 kit lens. I love to see photos from around the world, that said look under "forum" "learning
photography" for ideas. Better, just go out and take pictures.

pedroj

Welcome

Here's a few things....360% panoramas...Portraits...Landscapes...Happy Snaps... Paper Weight...Underwater Photography with a housing...And I'm sure fun fits in here some where....

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Keep an open eye and take pictures. Eventually a great picture should come through if you persevere long enough.

Enjoy your Nikon!

§am

You'll come up with the best picture you've ever taken in your life... only to be ripped to shreds by 'the experts'.
Other times, you'll come up with an OK picture, and 'the experts' will drop jaw at the fact you did it with a D3100

The possibilities are endless - its how much you use it that counts.
Go snap happy or use it for the occasional family moment, its a tool to use at your disposal now :)

But most of all just use it and enjoy it :)

SteveH

The best thing you can do with it, as other have said is to use it!
Sit with the camera fully charged, and the manual and just run through the modes and settings - Using something static such as an ornament as a subject, click away and see how different settings affect the outcoming shot.... You will soon start to see how different things can be captured given the light, distance away from you etc.
Once you have the basic settings, just go for a walk around your local area and you will soon find yourself looking at things differently!

Go to one of your favorite places near your home. Set the camera on 18mm and do not move it. Shoot lots of pictures and go home and study them. The next day set it on 55mm and go to the same place and shoot lots of pictures. This will force you to see what is possible with that lens. It will also open your eyes to what is possible. I tend to go play a lot with my camera and have gotten into only carrying one of my three lens with me most of the time. It is generally a different lens each time. I think this helps me see different things each time I go out. It makes me work harder to get the great photos I want. When I go somewhere important I then carry all three lenses and a wife to carry the extras.