D7100?

D12345678

Just curious as to what people's thoughts may be on this;
As we've seen the recent D3200 and now D5200 cameras coming out with a 24mp sensor, it would seem highly likely that the next replacement for the D7000 and/or possibly D7000/D300S would also have the same new 24mp sensor. If that turns out to be the case, would that be a good thing or a bad thing, as far as you're concerned?
Personally, i'm not really sure at this stage, as i haven't had a chance to try a D3200 or see a really good range of sample photos from it, but i'm more than happy with the results from my D7000 and D5100 and can't see a major benefit from a 24mp crop sensor. Any thoughts?

Eye-level

Banned
If they would just put a sensor in a body the same size, look, and feel of a F2 they will sell millions of them.

As far as this vicious cycle of upgrades I think the only Nikon cameras I would consider buying nowadays is a D3s, D600, D700, and D300s...in that order of preference. (Note only one of them is a new model!)

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I do not dare even dream about the D4 because that is like sleeping with angelina jolie or something...lol

From the perspective of the format itself I think they have finally hit the plateau with the D600.

pedroj

I do not dare even dream about the D4 because that is like sleeping with Angelina Jolie or something...lol

From the perspective of the format itself I think they have finally hit the plateau with the D600.

That would be a great project, Photographing Angelina Jolie with your Nikon D4....I better go and have a drink

Rick M

Do some reaserch on sensor diffraction. A Dx sensor with 24mp will be great for wildlife, portatraits, flowers or any other situation where you shoot below f8. If you want to use a high f stop for smooth waterfalls, high DoF (landscapes), or long exposures I would stay away from it. Diffraction sets in at about f5.9 on a 24mp Dx sensor. I did a lot of reaserch on this and that's why I ended up going to Fx. Just as with lenses, it's really important now to match your body with your shooting style.

See this link:

Digital Camera Diffraction – Resolution, Color & Micro-Contrast

D12345678

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, i've already been doing some research, but the link you provided isn't one i've read yet, so i'll look at that right now. From all i've read about the sensor in the D3200 it sounds good, apart from the diffraction issue. However, i rarely find myself shooting anything higher than about f8 anyway, so it may not even be an issue, if the D7000 replacement ends up with that 24mp sensor. Whatever the "new" camera ends up like, i'll consider it when the time arrives. For me, then it will be a matter of buying the new model, replacing my D7000 with another new D7000 or moving over to FX. At the moment i'm still quite happy with the D7000, just thinking about next year's options!

Rick M

If any of you know who RC Concepcion is (https://plus.google.com/101396087935203987162/posts?hl=en), awhile back, when he got his D800 and played with it for awhile, he showed that with the 36mp pictures, you could zoom in on something very small in the original, and still have a very sharp picture. I would especially like that, doing wildlife pictures. Of course the D800 is an FX camera, but should be true with a DX camera, up to a point.

The more MP you have, the more you can crop, also true on Dx. The only difference is you are starting out with a smaller image in Dx (Dx is about half the size of Fx).

Dooku77

24mp sensor you say. I think that is a bit much. 16mp is plenty. Hopefully the d7100 doesn't come out until next year seeing as I only had mine about 6 months.

Willie C

ideacipher

I think an upgrade in AF system, buffer depth, bracketing frames, full metal jacket among other things would be better than bumping up the MP in my book. Pretty much bridge the gap between the D300 and D7000 first and work out from there.

Love the D7000 it's a very nice camera and I'll keep it until the shutter craps out. Just don't think a 7000 with more MP is a reason to make a move that's all. At least I hope as I just bought one lol

D12345678

I think an upgrade in AF system, buffer depth, bracketing frames, full metal jacket among other things would be better than bumping up the MP in my book. Pretty much bridge the gap between the D300 and D7000 first and work out from there.

Love the D7000 it's a very nice camera and I'll keep it until the shutter craps out. Just don't think a 7000 with more MP is a reason to make a move that's all. At least I hope as I just bought one lol
I think you're probably right about that, but i just can't see Nikon doing the 3200 & 5200 with a 24mp sensor and then leaving the 7?00 with the same 16mp sensor.

Rick M

I think you're probably right about that, but i just can't see Nikon doing the 3200 & 5200 with a 24mp sensor and then leaving the 7?00 with the same 16mp sensor.

I'm hoping, for those waiting, that they get a bit more original on the next Dx, which may be the top of the line. How about a high performance 18mp with great ISO range and very high FPS? If they dump the same sensor in the next semi or pro Dx, I think it really shows that Dx is just a market place holder for them now.

stmv

great photos start with composition, light, and aperature/speed with the camera pixels and editing being incremental gain. Where it matters is the size of print. posting on the internet is the great equalizer of camera pixels since the picture is reduced to a fraction of image size whether 6 million or 36 million.

There are differences with the look of some sensors, with varying response to the color sprectum and dynamic range, but these can be evened out with PS.

The sensor in the D7000 is pretty awesome. I find it interesting that when the 3100 came out which is a lower cost camera, camera rags biased gave the D7000 the better image marks, but I bet when the 5200 comes with the same sensor, the same rags wil give it better marks.

If you are serious about upgrading from 7000 to 7100, sell it before the 7100 comes out or right after while the price is still high. They go for around 700-800 dollars for a clean one. So, the delta will be around 400 dollars for your upgrade.

Depends on how hard you use your camera, and if a 400 dollar depreciation is allright to you for upgrading.

AxeMan - Rick S.

I'm hoping, for those waiting, that they get a bit more original on the next Dx, which may be the top of the line. How about a high performance 18mp with great ISO range and very high FPS? If they dump the same sensor in the next semi or pro Dx, I think it really shows that Dx is just a market place holder for them now.

I think at this point ANY new camera Nikon comes out with is going to have the 24mp sensor in it.

I don't know is there even a 18mp sensor out there for Nikon? Why would they come out with a new sensor just for a top line DX?

I did look there is a 18mp sensor out there but it's for Canon and Leica. Kind of makes sense they would come out with one, but if they are putting the 24mp sensor in lower end DX models now and that make no sense why they would put a smaller sensor in a higher end camera. So I guess your last statement is right DX being a place holder for them.

But I do like your thinking on greater ISO and more FPS although I have really moved away "machine gun shooting"

Guess those of us waiting will have to wait and see, instead of guessing.

Rick M

I just think the top line model should have something to make it stand out against the lower end models in regards to the sensor. Some better specs and not play along the more MP marketing at the cost of performance. They know pixel density is an issue in Dx now, for them to ignore that is really an insult to Dx shooters.

ideacipher

I'm all for more MP as long as it doesn't get to the point where it's the major upgrade to a new body. I understand you would want to put the best sensor available in your new releases and why wouldn't you?

I'm just saying if the 7100 or what ever it is called is built and all things are pretty much equal except the sensor I wouldn't see a pay off in upgrading. I don't print large, and usually don't crop very much. Now others that print large sizes and need the cropping I can see a pay off.

D12345678

It seems most of us would agree that we would be quite happy to see the next model come out with the same or an improved? 16mp sensor, but with a better frame rate, more focus points and possibly a tougher build. But i guess we'll just have to wait and see if the Nikon people think it's more important to push this MP race as far as they can go, regardless of what most of the current D7000 owners are wanting. It would be a sad situation if the MP race continues to be a priority for Nikon!

bigal1000

It seems most of us would agree that we would be quite happy to see the next model come out with the same or an improved? 16mp sensor, but with a better frame rate, more focus points and possibly a tougher build. But i guess we'll just have to wait and see if the Nikon people think it's more important to push this MP race as far as they can go, regardless of what most of the current D7000 owners are wanting. It would be a sad situation if the MP race continues to be a priority for Nikon!

Ditto on that.