Buying used lenses

§am

Aside from looking for the obvious like dust, fungus, haze, scratches, is there anything else to be looking for when buying a used lens.

I've seen a lens which looks (body wise) in good condition, and the seller has said its missing all the above factors, so that's definitely good. Mechanically and electrically been told its well, never dropped, full accessories too.

I've asked the seller to take a few pics to show me the quality of the lens - is there any good shots to take which might pick up any flaws? like say a white wall, blue sky, etc

I've never bought used before, so a bit weary of what to look for.

Any advice most welcome :)

Thanks

cbg

First and foremost, make sure the seller is reputable. In this case, it sounds like the seller is local to you. If that is true, I'd suggest that you meet the seller, in a public place, inspect the lens, put it on your camera body and take a few shots to make sure it functions correctly and produces acceptable images.

If it's online (ebay), check the seller ratings and feedback before making the purchase. Other than that, there is not much you can do.

I think the requests you have made are reasonable.

Colin

Last edited:

TedG954

First and foremost, make sure the seller is reputable. In this case, it sounds like te seller is local to you. If that is true, I'd suggest that you meet the seller, in a public place, inspect the lens, put it on your camera body and take a few shots to make sure it functions correctly and produces acceptable images.

If it's online (ebay), check the seller ratings an'd feedback before making the purchase. Other than that, there is not much you can do.

I think the requests you have made are reasonable.

Colin

All of my FX lenses are second-hand. I used the process listed above. In using eBay, make sure the seller will accept a return if you're not satisfied, and always use Paypal. I bought a 75-240 Nikkor on eBay for $99. It was as-new, with the lens hood. I took it out today for a test run. Here's a panorama of 5 shots....

View attachment 20001

Some people are only comfortable with buying "new" equipment. Me? I'll continue to look for the bargains. Of the 6 lenses I've purchased, everyone was excellent. Good luck.

stmv

Lots of examples of this lens on ebay between 40-90 dollars. overall this was a low end consumer grade lens, with even the camera mount being plastic, and the focus ring being very minimal. If this was a lens you wanted at 99 dollars it should be pristine, like new condition for the type of lens that it is.

I have purchased many lens used, and both at local retail shops and online. got to say that most descriptions have been spot on, good to buy sometimes from a high volume reseller with solid ratings.

I'll buy form people with lower number of ratings, but I am going then for pristine condition and good photos of the lens.

AC016

I have never bought from eBay... weird huh? lol. Though, i have purchased from B&H. Their rating system for used lenses is spot on. Other than that, i would go to my local shops in town. Atleast that way, you can try the lens out before buying. I'm with Ted. I don't think i will ever buy a NEW lens ever again. There are just to many used lenses out there that are in pristine condition. I will not hesitate to buy used from B&H again or even Henrys here in Canada. I can't say much about eBay, i have never used it. But then again, it's really not my cup of tea.

Phillydog1958

I've sold several cameras on Craigslist and recently sold a D7000. I've never bought any used equipment, but I think I would. If the right opportunity presented itself, I'd buy a used lens. Craigslist does have some nice deals. I'm attempting to sell several DX lenses on Craigslist, right now. It seems that lenses move slower than cameras. I think that sellers might even offer a better deal because lenses move slower on Craigslist.

Last edited:

§am

It's an eBay item, but the seller is >250 miles away so a meet up is not practical in this case.
100% rating and communication so far has been very good. I've asked for a white wall pic, and if possible a blue sky pic (given autumn weather in UK, hard to take this time of year!).
Any other pics I could ask for which might help pick up any spots, dust etc?

There's now 2 lenses I'm looking at going currently at the same price
- Nikkor AF-S G ED DX VR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
- Nikkor AF-S G ED-IF 24-85mm f/3.5-5.6

I'm tempted by the first for the slightly wider range, and because the later is the older model of the 24-85mm (no VR)
Anyone used either of these and can comment on sharpness?

AC016

It's an eBay item, but the seller is >250 miles away so a meet up is not practical in this case.
100% rating and communication so far has been very good. I've asked for a white wall pic, and if possible a blue sky pic (given autumn weather in UK, hard to take this time of year!).
Any other pics I could ask for which might help pick up any spots, dust etc?

There's now 2 lenses I'm looking at going currently at the same price
- Nikkor AF-S G ED DX VR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
- Nikkor AF-S G ED-IF 24-85mm f/3.5-5.6

I'm tempted by the first for the slightly wider range, and because the later is the older model of the 24-85mm (no VR)
Anyone used either of these and can comment on sharpness?

Some people may not like him, but i think he does good lens reviews:

Nikon 16-85mm Review

Nikon 24-85mm AF-S G Review

Guy

I've got the 16-85mm (incidentally, bought off ebay) and it's the perfect fit-and-forget lens for an APS-C sensor camera. I love my Sigma 10-20mm (ebay again) but the 16-85mm lives on the camera. It's not as sharp as my 18-55mm kit lens (that lens is SCARY sharp) but it's very good.

A useful point to make when buying off ebay is to hold off for ad's that say things like 'bought on a whim and hardly used' etc. My 16-85mm is fairly slack from use by the previous owner but the Sigma, which was bought 'barely used' is basically new and cost me £260 delivered :).

RockyNH_RIP

I've sold several cameras on Craigslist and recently sold a D7000. I've never bought any used equipment, but I think I would. If the right opportunity presented itself, I'd buy a used lens. Craigslist does have some nice deals. I'm attempting to sell several DX lenses on Craigslist, righ t now. It seems that lenses move slower than cameras. I think that sellers might even offer a better deal because lenses move slower on Craigslist.
Hello, just checked your craigslist ad..... too bad NH is not local to KS! I would be interest in at least one.... good luck with sale.
Pat in NH

§am

Thanks for all the help/advice.

Decided on holding off on buying either of the lenses for now - gonna invest that money towards a SB700 instead :)