D800 Issues AND questions about movies

nathanrye

Hi all,

Just took my D800 to an event this past weekend where I experienced some really weird things (D800 with Nikon 24-70 f2.8 lens attached):

1) The camera would not turn off. I slid the ON/OFF switch to OFF and the camera stayed on (although the LCD (top LCD near the shutter release) dimmed). Turned the switch back to the ON position and the camera continued to stay on and the LCD illuminated. This happened several times during the night. Sometimes, the camera would turn off. I've never experienced anything like that before. Had my most trusted D3 with me (thankfully) and kept coming back to the D800 to experiment with the results I listed above. Anyone seen anything like this?

2) The D800 displayed a different shutter speed that it recorded. At one point, I set the shutter speed to 1/200. After taking the photo, I looked at the image and the image data on the back of the camera. The data listed the shot as taken at 1/1250 shutter speed. I witnessed this a few times and just shook my head. Anyone seen anything like this?

3) When using LIVE VIEW on the CAMERA setting, I could easily see the dimly lit room. The focussing was strange to me as it didn't resemble my D7000. The screen looked more like the D7000 in LIVE VIEW VIDEO mode with a red box that just floats across the screen. I was hoping to get a fixed cursor in the middle for photos. I might need to read the manual for this.

4) When using LIVE VIEW on the VIDEO setting, the room was pitch black on the LCD screen with no settings having been changed. Switch to camera mode, I can see. Switch to video mode, I can't see.

5) I would GREATLY appreciate suggestions for the best settings regarding Focus Mode and AF-Mode for video capture of a dance floor at a wedding reception. My focus is all over the map and the camera is bouncing from one are of the screen to another greatly. I'm sure I don't have the right settings so I would appreciate someone with experience giving me some pointers.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE for helping!

Humbly yours,

Nathan

Photowyzard

Call Nikon.

Sounds like an electrical problem. Just the fact it won't turn off means you have an issue. Talk to their technical department, explain the above and they will direct you.

Sorry to hear you are having issues, mine has performed seamlessly since I got it 3-4 months ago. I have had zero issues with it.

Last edited:

BooBoos

Can someone explain the fine tuning of lenses to the D-800. And once done will they be in focus on other bodies. This is the first camera that I have ever heard of doing this. But, my photographer buddy told me fine tuning has been around for years on Nikon bodies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Incubate

I agree, sounds like a technical glitch. See if you can reboot the camera back to factory setting... I find that makes a huge difference to our video cameras. Failing that get in touch with the tech guys.

BooBoos

Have we had all the D-800 with focus issues repaired? Are the ones arriving now ok. Without any problems.I have heard of D-800s going back to nikon for the left focus issue and coming back in worse condition. The center focus was off from what I have heard.