Firework Settings Advice

bgatty68

Hi Guys ( Not sure if this thread is in the right place)
I have a couple of firework displays to go to this weekend and as it will be the first time at a display with a DSLR (D3100) I was wondering if anyone can give me a few setting tips please.
Do i use the Aperture setting or manual or shutter priority etc. I dont have a tripod at the moment so im hoping to still get good pictures by just holding the camera.
Thanks in advance;)

wysiwyg

Hi - firstly I would to down to my local camera shop and buy two things - a tripod and a shutter release cable ! Neither have to be very expensive - but definitely necessary !
I would shoot on manual - lowest iso - manual focus ! I like to use the bulb setting for fireworks - as it gives me the most control over my shutter . Have fun and enjoy

wysiwyg

The Bulb setting is when you open the shutter (using a shutter release cable usually) and it will stay open until you release it to close again. Great for REALLY REALLY REALLY long exposure shots - used for light trails and often star scapes too. Now a word of wisdom , make sure you have a full battery - and preferably an extra battery for the night too. You can find the Bulb in manual mode. Have fun x Also - get the kids (if you have any) to write with sparklers in the air ... loads of fun x

bgatty68

wysiwyg
Thanks for that, im gonna do a few dummy runs on bulb mode tonight with the kids so thanks again and now it looks like ive got to spend out on a tripod and release shutter. It's an expensive hobby:D

wysiwyg

The shutter release does not have to be expensive - put the money into a better tripod. And YES - it is an expensive hobby - but most of the "extras" you will only have to buy once if you buy smart. The kids think I'm the coolest mom when we do sparkler writing ... enjoy.

§am

If I read that right, the bulb mode opens the shutter to give you an exposure as long as you hold it open (using a remote control or not) - this would give you the streaking light effects wouldn't it?

Why would you use 'bulb' mode over say a very fast shutter speed, as the fast shutter speed is more likely to give you a good clean shot of your fireworks??

wysiwyg

Its just a personal preference - as most fireworks explode at a different rate - ... and I like to have control over when I finish the shot - most people would probably use a slow shutter speed - each to their own.

§am

I'm going to have a try tonight or this weekend too with slow shutter speeds, fast shutter speeds, and also this new found 'bulb' mode ;)

Thanks Adele :)

Fork

You don't really need a shutter release cable. I don't have one. But you do need a tripod. My usual settings are, more or less:

Aperture: f/9 - f/11
Shutter: 3 secs
ISO: 200
Self timer: 2-5 secs

With the self timer set to 2-5 secs, hit the shutter as soon as you here the "thump" of the rocket lifting off. The shutter should open just before the explosion and you'll have a nice clean shot of the firework.

DSCF0824 by Forkie, on Flickr

DSCF0850 by Forkie, on Flickr

...Why would you use 'bulb' mode over say a very fast shutter speed, as the fast shutter speed is more likely to give you a good clean shot of your fireworks??

If you use a fast shutter speed the shutter will be open for less time and won't be open long enough to catch the streaks, you will just get a few short lines or dots, or worse, just black.

To get the long streaks of fireworks, what you are essentially trying to capture is motion blur as the bright dot moves across the frame whilst the sensor is exposed.

Last edited:

§am

If you use a fast shutter speed the shutter will be open for less time and won't be open long enough to catch the streaks, you will just get a few short lines or dots, or worse, just black.

Ahh yes I see what you mean.
I was thinking with the fast shutter speed you could capture the streaks as they form (or have formed) in the sky, but I get what you mean now about the longer exposure to get the longer streaks :)

What mode do you use your settings on? M(anual)?

Fork

Ahh yes I see what you mean.
I was thinking with the fast shutter speed you could capture the streaks as they form (or have formed) in the sky, but I get what you mean now about the longer exposure to get the longer streaks :)

What mode do you use your settings on? M(anual)?

Yes, I use manual. I guess you could use shutter priority, but I suspect the camera would choose the widest aperture which will affect the sharpness of your images and may cause the sky to be "too" exposed i.e., not black.

Guy

I can't wait to try bulb mode and fireworks this year. A British Nikon mag (N Photo) had a question about this recently on the letters page. They recommended aperture of approx. F8, ISO100 and recommended starting the exposure when you hear the mortar launch and leave it open until the firework has exploded ad started to go out and experiment from there :).

nikonpup

you need to find infinity on your lens. Mark it. If the lens or camera allows manual focus use it. Without manual your camera will hunt for focus and you will not get a shot.