Nikon f65 (n65) in low temperatures

P.G.1.0

Howdy.
I recently bought a second hand f65 with a Nikon nikkor 28-100mm lense, starting out as an amateur picture-capturer. Got the camera ridicculously cheep, but have allready experienced that it can produce really nice pictures. Even in my unexperienced hands.
Purely visually/eastheatically pleasing or interresting, but also sometimes pictures that are inviting to metaphores.
Great fun, a new outlet for creativity.
I started out using Kodak gold iso 200 and thought the colours really "popped" on good pictures. Now i`m on my first dedicated b/w-film, kodak professional b/w400cn. Exciting, gottta think differently than with coulors.
I`m worried about my "new" gear, though. Winter`s arrived, and i wanted to try out some evening-shots in the snow. Using the "night-mode"-setting, denying the flash to pop up. This last time, tonight, i brought a broom handle to stabilize the gear a bit, waiting for a tripod. It was -5 celcius. Read somewhere that this should be o.k, as long as i acclimatize camera slowly back to room-temp.
This happened when i went for a shot i`ve been planning: display showed "low" shutter speed and f5.
After pressing the trigger the view-finder went black for two to four seconds, before the shutter klicked and i could see through viewfinder again.
Did "low" shutter speed mean several seconds, so the picture would have been o.k. with a tripod? Or can this camera not be used in freezing temperatures?

Thankful for all inputs, and experiences with this Nikon shared.