I am considering selling my D3100 to get a D90, Am I nutz?

I am considering selling my D3100 to get a D90, Am I nutz? I kind of like the fact that the D90 is larger. (I have large hands)And I like the fact that the D90 continuous shoots faster. And I don't mind that the D90 only shoots 720P video as I have never even shot 1080P video with my D3100. I also like the fact that the D90 doesn't need Af-S lenses to auto focus. So Maybe some of you more well versed with the D90 or D3100 can tell my why I should or shouldn't switch camera bodies.;)

Thanks
Bill

Rick M

I think it's a great idea for the reasons you've stated. I progressed through a few bodies as I learned and wanted more features. The D7000 would be a good choice also with similar features of the D90

WhiteLight

If i were in your shoes i would probably want to upgrade to a D7000 as Rick states.
I have not used the D90, but have used the 3100 & 7000.
the D7000 is just sweet & am sure you won't regret it.
But of course, you know what's best for your shooting styles & more importantly your budget

pedroj

I think it's good idea...Another option if buying second hand could be the D300 doesn't shoot video but does 6 frames per sec and with the MB10 battery grip 8 frames per sec...

I have a couple of great old lens I use with mine..ED AF 80-200mm F2.8 and ED AF 300mm F4..

Eye-level

Banned
I'm selling my D5000 and getting a Fuji S5 Pro. I think you ought to sell it and upgrade a little. The D90 is a fine camera! I really like the idea of a D300 too. If you can swing it I would get the D300 instead of the D90.

Last edited:

Geoffc

The D300 or D300s are fantastic and you'll have pro level functionality. The only problem is, Nikon won't have a DX upgrade path for sometime if you want to move on. I tried the 7000 and preferred the 300.

AxeMan - Rick S.

The D7000 is "the replacement / upgrade" to the D90, and would be a better move I think.

The 3100 has a newer sensor and technology than the D90, I think you be going backwards in that department, but in Nikons line up the D90 WOULD be listed as a better camera so you would be going forward in that department but just moving up the list that's all.

Other posters have mentioned D300, it basically the same as the D90 goes when it comes down to the sensor. The difference is a alloy body and more bells and whistles then the D90. I also like to point out that the D300 does not have any auto modes except "P" mode so if you're an "Auto" shooter beware. The D7000 and the D90 on the other hand has many auto modes to use.

I have used the D90 for two years now and I am very happy with it, however at the time I bought it there were some issues with the D7000 that were not worked out yet and I stayed away for it.

Another thing to think about, there is "possible" long awaited upgrade coming in the DX line. You might want to wait it out and save up and see what happens like I am.

If I were you and wanted to make a move right now, I would go with the D7000 over the D90.

See I knew there was a Geoff on the board... :)

Isn't Geoff the Toys-R-US's giraffe mascot? :biggrin-new:

I think financially I would feel more comfortable getting the used D90 for about $385, than paying $1000 for a new D7000 or even $765 for a used one. But maybe if I wait until the D7100 is introduced the used price of the D7000 will come down a bit. I had even thought about getting the Nikon D200 for a short time, but then saw the D90 and thought it might be an even better choice. We'll see!

Thanks
Bill

stmv

having owned a D300, I sold for a D7000, between the two, I prefer the pictures of the D7000, but the features of the D300 are nice, like the increased bracket depth, and the light meter reading on top. no regrets on the D7000 , 10,000 pictures later.

martenfisher

I am hoping to get a D3100. From what I hear the D90 performs great overall but the D3100 has killer dynamic range and great video and at under $500 with an 18-55 kit standard I think the D3100 is the best deal going. Sad it has no focus motor. I believe the true D90 upgrade is the D600. I tried the D7000 and I felt it just had too many options that I just did not need. I love the D700 but I still think the tiny Nikon DSLRs are great for general photographing which is why I am getting a stand by D3100.

Phillydog1958

I am hoping to get a D3100. From what I hear the D90 performs great overall but the D3100 has killer dynamic range and great video and at under $500 with an 18-55 kit standard I think the D3100 is the best deal going. Sad it has no focus motor. I believe the true D90 upgrade is the D600. I tried the D7000 and I felt it just had too many options that I just did not need. I love the D700 but I still think the tiny Nikon DSLRs are great for general photographing which is why I am getting a stand by D3100.

Great. Sounds like you know what you want and need.

Knave

If you see yourself leaning towards the D7K, Cameta is offering a refurbished body for $800 delivered. 90 day warranty from Nikon and Cameta extends it to 1 yr.

I sold my D3100 today on Craigslist and picked up a D90 from Ebay for $200 less than I sold the D3100 for. The lack of focus motor on the D3100 is the main reason I got the D90 as it opened up a whole new flock of lenses. And the neat part is that the D90 only has 520 shutter actuation on it, where my D3100 had 15,000 actuation's after 11 months of use.

Last edited: