D90: How does Matrix Metering setting influence Auto Focus accuracy?

jfairman

How does Matrix Metering setting influence Auto Focus accuracy? Particularly, fixed objects ( usually people/faces ), located in center of viewfinder at wide open apertures.

Nikon support claims: "Matrix metering allows more focus than center weighted metering. Center weighted metering focuses on what is directly in the center. Matrix metering focuses on what is in the center and what is around."

Nikon support seems to be suggesting that center weighted average may not give the best focus at wide apertures for stationary object located in center of viewfinder.

I tend to think I got an uninformed response from someone at Nikon Support who barely knows what AF is. Can you folks give me the real answer?

I seem to have symptoms of rear-focus. Have followed test procedures recommended by Mojo Dave. Sent test result shots and real photo from my portfolio to Nikon Customer Support. The guidance above is all they came back with.

Unable to post sample ( too large ) to forum from this computer. Will resize and post later if interest.

jfairman

i did not find anything in the comments at that link related to how the metering affects AF i am shooting in fully manual mode. i typically use several test shots to get the WB and exposure correct, so don't even really care about metering mode. i remain confused about the assertion that metering mode can influence the accuracy of AF