Dead Pixel on Sensor of NEW D800?

Travaloid

There appears to be a dead pixel on the sensor which (on going back over my photos) has been there since the day I got my Nikon D800 (about 6 to 8 weeks ago) from digital cameras, digital slr cameras, video cameras - DWI australia online store. Digital World International.

Is there any reason (given this is the case – i.e. faulty from the day I got it) that I would not get a new replacement? The moment I got the camera I placed the lens on it & & it has not been removed. I now understand that this camera is a "grey" import & I am worried about this repair will be carried out & void my Nikon Warranty?

Or is it just dust?? How many times would I have to use the clean sensor to remove it if it was dust??

wysiwyg

Im not sure about the regulations in Australia about Grey Imports - but can tell you that in the UK - you do have a warranty - however it is held with the company that you purchased from. I would look into their own terms and conditions - but would be very surprised if they are liable for anything other than having your camera repaired at their cost. But even if you had purchased from a reputable retailer - many of them have their own terms and conditions with regards to faulty items - and the rule of thumb is that if an item shows an fault within the first 28 days - then you MAY have been able to get a replacement - BUT since it is now 6-8 weeks , you would probably end up waiting while it is fixed by Nikon. Now to be honest - Nikon here in the UK have a brilliant turn around time for warranty repairs - less than 10 days INHO .

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm doubting it's a dead pixel since it would appear as a very small but bright white spot, not something you would be likely to confuse with being dust. That said, have you used the D800's sonic cleaning function yet? Try that a few times while you wait for your air blower to arrive (order something like this HERE. Typically, small particles of dust are easy to remove. If the sonic cleaning and the air blower does not fix your problem, then you can consider moving it up to the next level.

pedroj

There appears to be a dead pixel on the sensor which (on going back over my photos) has been there since the day I got my Nikon D800 (about 6 to 8 weeks ago) from digital cameras, digital slr cameras, video cameras - DWI australia online store. Digital World International.

Is there any reason (given this is the case – i.e. faulty from the day I got it) that I would not get a new replacement? The moment I got the camera I placed the lens on it & & it has not been removed. I now understand that this camera is a "grey" import & I am worried about this repair will be carried out & void my Nikon Warranty?

Or is it just dust?? How many times would I have to use the clean sensor to remove it if it was dust??

Nikon Australia wont cover warranty on grey imports...You need to get in touch with DWI Australia and ask about warranty...I think I read on their site they covered any warranty issues..

Photowyzard

Travaloid,

Did you know at the time, the place you bought the camera was NOT Nikon authorized? If they fooled you, you may have some recourse.

Otherwise, Nikon AU will not repair the camera. This is Nikon's way of forcing you to buy the camera from the LOCAL authorized dealers.

You can get service from the authorized dealer it actually came from. If Digital Camera fixed the D800 and they are NOT an authorized repair centre, that too will void your warranty.

My advice, try to get your money back.
Don't let a non authorized company touch your camera. Send it to Nikon, where ever it originated from, if you can't get a refund.

Your only recourse is if the Grey Market dealer mislead you into thinking they were an authorized Nikon Dealer and, you will be in for a fight, most likely. I am not sure how AU laws are in regards to these issues, you will have to do your own research on this.

In the future, I wouldn't buy a camera body from a non authorized or grey market source. I always buy my bodies from local stores. Lenses, from either Canada or the USA. I don't care about the grey market issue, I only care about price. I am 1-2 hours away from my closest USA authorized dealer on the other side of the border and can easily make a family shopping-day trip to get it serviced. In your case, I trust that is not the case.

You may have to ship it. I don't envy your position. Most likely, you have a DUST BUNNY on your sensor. Lets hope it is that and not a pixel.

Try to post a picture so we can see. Most likely, you are trying to upload too big a file. Make the picture 800 pixels across at 72 DPI and try again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Travaloid

Dead Pixel on Senson of NEW D800?

Thank you all so much for your input & advice! I'm away from my Mac - but Ill reply fully & try to get pics up tomorrow.

Done some more tests & confused with the results (just like I was with the so called "grey" market)!

Stay tuned as I'll need your thoughts / suggestions on my next post.

Trav

Last edited by a moderator:

pedroj

If you want a Nikon Warranty you have to buy from official Nikon retailers...

I bought my camera [ saved $890] from a grey importer "Discount Digital Photography" here in Australia, They have a warranty system, if a problem arises you get the product back to them and they have it repaired...

Here is what DWI say about their warranty....Ring them up and talk with them...Which is what I would have done in the first place....

Last edited:

Photowyzard

All grey market means is that the camera came from another country, say Taiwan and went to an UN-Authorized Nikon Dealer. It is still a Nikon made D800.

Nikon AU makes no money at all from the sale, and thus, get their backs up. Boo-hoo for them. You saved $890? Well, good enough reason for me.

You have NO Nikon AU warranty so go to the store and let them fix or replace it. They will most likely NOT replace it. This is typical. They will try to fix it first.

This is the gamble you take with buying from an Un-Authorized dealer. Don't use the term Grey Market. The Big Corporations use this "buzz" word to scare you into thinking it is a cheap knock off, illegal, garbage product blah blah blah. It is NOT. It is a REAL NIKON CAMERA that was brought in by a business with a source that buys them legitimately. I doubt this store would be selling stolen items.

The real question here is, why can a camera store that is NOT AUTHORIZED bring in a camera and sell it $890 less than the Nikon Authorized Dealer? How about that!? Why, Nikon AU?

Before you do any of this, again, make sure it is not DUST on the sensor! Save yourself a ton of grief and post a picture here of it when you get back to your Mac.

pedroj

The real question here is, why can a camera store that is NOT AUTHORIZED bring in a camera and sell it $890 less than the Nikon Authorized Dealer? How about that!? Why, Nikon AU?

This has been asked a lot but you don't get an honest answer...They say bricks and mortar but places like Discount Digital Photographics have Bricks & Mortar and are able to under cut Nikon Aus stores by $890

Last edited:

pedroj

Official Australian retailer price for a D4 $6,850.00

Discount Digital Photographics price for a D4 $5,299.00

Both in the the same city....$1550 mark up...Big difference..

wysiwyg

Sorry folk - but I'm entitled to my 2 cents worth here - so here goes - and I'm sure I will be shot down - it has been proved in the Uk that the grey market (and I will continue to use that phrase) do not pay all their taxes - they are often company's held off shore ! Also - I know someone who purchased a grey market Canon 5 d iii - when it developed a fault - he sent it back to canon and asked them to fix it - he was happy to pay for the repair - only for them to come back and tell him that the body chassis serial number did not match the serial number of the guts - And the guts were from a camera that HAD been stolen ! Now it was his own fault for buying canon in the first place - but seriously folk - you want your local retailer to have samples for you to try out before you buy - then you go online and get it cheaper - there is no such thing as a free lunch !

Travaloid

Hi all,

Best I put up some pics ASAP as this "red dot" seems to be gone!

I called the service agent for DWI (ATECH) who said if its red its a dead pixel!

But have a pro photo friend who said shot a white piece of paper at f16 & a hi ISO out of focus - I did & can't find it!

I also shot the sky! Can't find it!

I then took lens off & put the cap on - cant see it in those photos either! But the red dot on my earlier photos is a "+" when I zoom right in (so that can't be dust or can it)?

Ill get sample shots up tonight!

Travaloid

Below are a few wedding shots I took where you can see the"issue" (red +)!

The blue image is of teh sky after a sensor clean & I can't find a red dot!

Couls that red dot (or +) be dust?? The Tech said it would be black if it was dust! So where did it go? Does it only show up on certain settings (i.e. ISO)?

The atatched image is of a shot with the lens off (& camera body cap on). Can't see an issue here either! HELP! I don't want to send it to be repaired if it doesnt need to.

TMC_2403 LowRes.jpgTMC_3393 LR.jpgUntitled-1LR.jpg

Attachments

• TMC_3651 LR.jpg
    TMC_3651 LR.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 280