D7000 in P mode - Grainy photos.

Jeanie

Aloha Everyone, I was doing a shoot today for a first birthday and right when the smash cake came out (the most important part of the shoot) I must have hit P mode or something else because my pics went for beautiful to grainy. I ruined a first birthday. :'( I don't know what to do. Buy the same cake and redo? Does anyone know what I did so I do not make the same mistake again.. Long Shot... is this fixable on my camera or are they completely ruined? I don't even know how to tell the mom the most important part was ruined when it was a difficult shoot to begin with because the baby wasn't feeling well. HELP! Mahalo, Jeanie

ideacipher

Jeanie - Sorry to hear about the grainy cake shots. What does the exif data look like for the bad ones compared to the good ones? We should be able to track down what happened that way so you'll know for next time.

would need to see an example for a possible noise reduction.

Last edited:
noting to do with P mode as such its just that you have the iso settings in P set probably to 6400 etc instead of on auto iso 100-6400 ..for each setting P,A S U1 U2 you must check each setting they dont ripple through ie settings on each can be different....Note never had a grainy iso 6400 and use it all the time at weddings in 13th century churches ( little stained glass windows and eco bulbs) do you have the noise reduction on ????

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Jeanie, welcome to Nikonites.

I suspect that the lights were turned off when the cake was presented to the child, right? The camera does not see as well as our eyes. So the camera probably increased the iso to get the picture properly exposed with only candle light and this is probably why you've got grainy pictures. If you had used flash, then you wouldn't have seen the candle light effect, but the iso would have stayed low to prevent grain.

Depending on how bad this is, you might be able to recover some information with a post processing program (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or Lightroom). These also have noise reduction capacities that could help in your case. I'd start by giving this option a good trial.

But for us, it's pretty hard to know in advance what the final result could be without seeing the actual photo you took. So maybe if you'd post it in, we could really help you more.

Jeanie

Sorry.. We were under Tsunami warnings here on Oahu late so I was shut down before I could upload pic..

It's not lighting.. it was day and outside. When I changed my lens I hit something maybe.. Just not sure what happened.

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D7000
Image Date: 2012-10-27 15:24:08 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 42.0mm (35mm equivalent: 63mm)
Aperture: f/29.0
Exposure Time: 0.0003 s (1/3200)
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Embettered by PicMonkey. http://www.picmonkey.com

Attachments

• DSC_3788.jpg
    DSC_3788.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 422
Last edited by a moderator:

Jeanie

All my other photos were great. There are about 50 that are not. Those are the important ones. PS.. I'M JEALOUS of your photography in the 13th Century Churches and all glass. They must be beautiful.

fotojack

Yeah, I'd say you definitely knocked something out of whack! f/29? shutter speed 1/3200? WOW! No wonder your ISO went up like crazy! Check your settings in the viewfinder BEFORE pressing the shutter button. Also, check your settings in your Program Mode in your Shooting Menu. I think you'll find some of them are not set correctly.

thosdmg

Hi Jeanie

I can only agree to fotojack.

On the other hand this pictures shows how good the D7K is under high ISO!

I think you should be able to get some acceptable results for standard photo prints with some software adjustments in LR or similar.
Wouldn't go for wall paper size though ;)