learning suggestions

Montana Michael

i have looked and don't seem to find anything other than in the forums about what books and/or training tools are available or are best for beginners on this site. it would be nice if there was a separate place where some one could list any books and any other training tools that beginners would find useful.

here is the list of what i bought -

[SIZE=-1] "Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Parts 1, 2, 3, and 4"
Kelby, Scott[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] "Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera"
Peterson, Bryan[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] "Nikon D3100 For Dummies"
King, Julie Adair[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)"
Kelby, Scott[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] "The Photoshop Elements 10 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)"
Kloskowski, Matt[/SIZE]

i did quite a bit of research on this site and others and these books consistently get the best reviews. as i read these titles i will try to post a blog about what i think about each title.

thanks for all the assistance from everyone and i hope i can be of some help to anyone else just starting out like i am.

pedroj

The manual that came with the cam is a great tool....You tube is a great visual learning tool..

A lot of people when they get the new camera out of the box have a quick look through it "manual" then forget it...

They want to know it all "now"...I know cause I was one of them....

There is not an easy way of learning, It has to be done in stages bit by bit...

Eye-level

Banned
Photography is very convoluted...sort of like classical guitar or a musical instrument. Books and research definitely help one find one's way but it is the actual shooting itself that shows you how to put it all together. I've been doing this for a while now and I still am not "really" good at it.

Just-Clayton

Me too jeff. I have been getting my experience from shooting. I have pictures ranging from first time with camera and saying to myself, "what was I thinking or doing". To recent photos of pretty good to wow. The "wow" factor isn't there all the time yet. So, I keep shooting.

Montana Michael

if there was a 7th menu option at the top of this site for references that had a list of all the titles of books and any other learning aids that members would recommend for others it would be nice. there is a tab for "products" that has listings on cameras, lenses and other items but nothing for what i am referring to. if this site had had this 7th tab (maybe titled "reference material/training aids") i could have saved quite a bit of my time taken doing google searches. maybe it could have a ratings option for members to rate the said references? just an idea for this awesome site.

ps = to any moderators, i would be willing to help maintain this area if added

fotojack

This is actually a good idea. This will be brought to the attention of the site admin, namely jdeg. He has the final say on what goes in his site. Thanks for bringing this idea forward, Michael.

bgatty68

I recommend the same book as KWJams, as I bought the book and it is a great tool to have. I know manuals are meant to be read but beginners like me need to know what is happening when adjustments are made and why you need to make them. A manual just tells you where to adjust a setting without giving a reason.