P7700

janfe

Hi

I have just invested in a P7700 which I'm very happy with, but I cannot find a way of making long exposures with it. In fact this has been true of all the compact digital cameras I have owned. The B stop found on old SLRs seems to have been abandoned on compacts. I had hoped to find one on the P7700 but despite searching the manual carefully I have drawn a blank.

Can anyone help?

Is this feature a problem for cheaper digital cameras?

Or is there some trick to creating a long exposure?

Jan

Last edited:

Mike150

Hi Jan
I don't have the P7700, but I went online and downloaded the "Reference Manual" (you should have gotten one with your camera). I found the description of how to change shutter speeds on pages 48 and 82. I have a feeling you have the camera in Auto, or Aperture Priority mode. You must be in Manual or Shutter Priority to be able to change shutter speeds.

janfe

Hi Mike

I too have the manual as I said (also downloaded) and have gone through it carefully. I understand the difference between manual and auto and have looked again at the pages you mentioned but I see nothing about long exposure settings. The longest I can get is 1/4 sec...

Jan

pedroj

This is what I do with mine [D300}put the camera in manual mode and set the shutter and aperture to the settings that will produce a correctly exposed image...Set the ISO to 200 to reduce noise...Put the camera on a tripod...

Pretty simple and easy

janfe

This is what I do with mine [D300}put the camera in manual mode and set the shutter and aperture to the settings that will produce a correctly exposed image...Set the ISO to 200 to reduce noise...Put the camera on a tripod...

Pretty simple and easy

Well that's fine for taking a normal picture, but if say you want to take a long exposure of traffic at night or the stars moving or lightening at night you need a b stop. Anyway you can hardly compare a D300 to a P7700. The b stop can be used for more creative photography not just taking a normal photo and I am sure the D300 has a b stop or equivalent setting ...

But what about the P7700...

Eye-level

Banned
From what I can gather from the net looks like you can get up to 60 seconds. Page 100 in Euro manual.

I'd like to have a P310.

Last edited:

janfe

From what I can gather from the net looks like you can get up to 60 seconds. Page 100 in Euro manual.

I'd like to have a P310.

Hi Jeff

Yes, according to the manual in M mode I should have speeds from 60s to 1/4000 which would be fine but I can only get 1/8 to 1/2000. I must be missing something because I can see 1/4 indicated but it will go no further than 1/8. Hmmm...

Jan

janfe

Problem solved!! I see I had multiple images set on M which prevented a slower shutter setting ... Thanks for all your helpful comments. Now I am totally happy with the 7700.