Jessica : Portfolio Work

Robert Mitchell

I've worked with Jessica before and have one more shoot scheduled to create some new and different images for her portfolio.

Camera:
Nikon D700

Lens:
[1] Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
[2] Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8
[3] Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR

Settings:
[1] ISO 200, 122mm, f/5.6, 1/125s
[2] ISO 200, 70mm, f/3.2, 1/80s
[3] ISO 200, 105mm, f/5.6, 1/200s

Lighting:
22" Beauty dish
[1] positioned to camera left and above subject
[2 & 3] positioned to camera right and above subject

[1]
p1224859658-5.jpg

[2]
p1224859674-5.jpg

[3]
p1224859714-5.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
No matter how much I try to look at her beautiful eyes, my eyes just jump back and forth to the nose jewels… My taste is personal, but I find these very distracting. Maybe if you could photoshop them out in one shot and show her the difference… But it's her portfolio after all.

Robert Mitchell

I agree with both of you and it's not my personal taste but one thing you're overlooking is that there are now agencies that specialize in alternative looks, be it gothic, punk, body modification, tattoos, etc. We see this more and more and it's gotten to the point where casting agencies are looking for this type of thing.

Remember, Jessics's target market is not a handful of photographer's in a public forum on the internet. She's going after a specific market.

Also, keep in mind that the look from one shoot isn't necessarily going to be the look in all the shoots.

We all like what like and have preferences but I do think it's important to understand the intent of the work to know whether something like body jewelry works and whether the agent wants or expects it.

No reason to be negative or act like "hey, it's her portfolio". It is her portfolio and the nose ring was not bad judgement or an oversight. It's one component of her portfolio. :)

Rick M

It's difficult for our generation to accept this stuff. To me it's a beautiful girl with a nasty piece of metal in her nose. But, that's what they want and you get paid to serve the customer

Robert Mitchell

I hear you, Rick. I know a lot of people that feel that way you do.
I don't think I've photographed a female in the last 2 years that didn't have at least one tattoo and many with all types of body piercings.

Gotta keep moving with the times. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, the customer is always right Robert.
I wasn't against them at all. I just found them distracting to my eyes. They prevented me to stick to her eyes and features. Maybe if the shiny reflection on them would be darkened they wouldn't disturb me so much.

Thanks for clarifying your point of view Robert.

Robert Mitchell

I understand Robert. So it's up to the client to decide what is his/her target market.

Absolutely. The client is usually an agency or casting director. If you have an alternative look and want to be cast in alternative roles then that's what they want to see right along side the other photos in your portfolio. Most of the girls cast by alternative agencies make Jessica's nose ring look mild. :)