35mm or 50mm 1.8G for D3000?

drmlprd

I am unable to decide which one to get - 35mm or 50mm 1.8G?

I like to take portrait pictures with this lens, especially my 7 month old. So, I will be mostly taking pictures indoors in low light.

I appreciate your help inadvance :)

Dave_W

The Dude
Esh, the two are so similar it's a tough choice. I think I would opt for the 50mm primarily because it's FX compatible and a slightly sharper IQ lens.

drmlprd

Thanks Mojo. That was quick reply :)
Yes, it is a tough choice. Price wise they are almost the same $20 bucks more for 50mm.
How is the BOKEH in these lens? I heard 50mm has much smoother Bokeh?

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
The 50mm is alleged to have better bokeh but again the difference is akin to hair splitting. Here's a nice review of the 50mm and is what I based my purchase on. Nikon 50mm f/1.8G Review but unfortunately his lens comparisons do not include the 35mm. Maybe you should consider getting both lenses and avoid making a choice? :p

Ruidoso Bill

Don't forget with a crop sensor your your effective focal length, the 35 will actually appear as a 52 mm and the 50 will appear as a 75 mm.

Geoffc

I'd been used to my 18-200 for indoor use, and mainly at the wider end. I pondered the two and went for the 35mm in the end. Personally I'm glad I did because even the 35mm seems too much indoors sometimes. If I'd got the 50mm I think I would have found the field of view too narrow indoors. Just my personal observation.

fotojack

I, too, owned the 50, but sold it in favour of the 35. Like Bill said, the 35 is closer to the actual focal length of a 50mm lens in FX, and the 35 gives you a wider field of view for portraits. I know...it's a toss up, but personally, I think opting for the 35 will work better for you.

WhiteLight

i was stuck on this thought for a good 2 months before i went for the 35mm primarily because i have a DX format camera.
My buddy has a 50mm on the same camera & i have tried that as well.
The pics are quite nice on the 35mm, but i find something amiss in some shots. Can't quite point it out.
I personally find the quality & sharpness and the bokeh as well slightly better.

on hind sight, i might have gone in for the 28mm, which is a fine lens, on par if not better than the 50mm

DaveW

Sorry but why does everyone keep mentioning focal length?? This is one thing that confused the heck out of me as a beginner a couple of years ago and I dare say it will confuse newbies now.

A 35mm lens is still 35mm regardless if its on a DX or FX.
Its the field of view that's affected by the 1.5 crop factor, not the focal length.

Anyway, both good lenses.

WhiteLight

Sorry but why does everyone keep mentioning focal length?? This is one thing that confused the heck out of me as a beginner a couple of years ago and I dare say it will confuse newbies now.

A 35mm lens is still 35mm regardless if its on a DX or FX.
Its the field of view that's affected by the 1.5 crop factor, not the focal length.

Anyway, both good lenses.

That's the standard measurement & nomenclature for lenses.
How else would you like a 50'mm' & a 35'mm' lens be named?

"The focal length of a lens is defined as the distance in mm from the optical center of the lens to the focal point, which is located on the sensor or film if the subject (at infinity) is "in focus". The camera lens projects part of the scene onto the film or sensor. The field of view (FOV) is determined by the angle of view from the lens out to the scene and can be measured horizontally or vertically. Larger sensors or films have wider FOVs and can capture more of the scene. The FOV associated with a focal length is usually based on the 35mm film photography, given the popularity of this format over other formats."
-dp review

Eye-level

Banned
This is one situation where I would advise a 50 over a 35 for the simple reason that the subject is a baby. Now when the baby gets about 3 or 4 you are going to need a 28 maybe even wider in order to be able to frame the fast little sucker to get a snap! LOL

Last edited:

drmlprd

Alright. Decision made. I went with 50mm. Bought on Adorama Camera. There was a refurb lens for $179.00 for a day. I jumped on it right away. I know that I will miss 5 year warranty. I will try it out for sometime and if I like it, I will keep it. If not sell it on CG :)
Will post some pics taken with my lens. I am excited just that I own a prime lens now :p