Inexpensive Lenses

Lradke

Hey everyone! I have a question about lenses.

I have a D5100 and I have the 15:85 stock lens that it came with. I am looking into more lenses (wide angle, fish eye, telescopic), but I can't afford the top quality brand be ones. I am wondering if there are cheaper ones that would work with my camera? Also, what should I be looking for?

I should add that manual focus isn't an issue for me as I learned on an old Pentax. And I am not looking for professional grade equipment, though I realize that there is a correlation between price and quality.

If you could help me out, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Luke

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Luke, you can try to get cheaper manual focus lenses for your camera. Most Nikon F-mount lenses should work on your 5100. That's how I started to get a lens collection. One thing I know for a fact is that if you buy cheaper lenses, you will eventually discard them for better ones. My advice would be to buy lenses you need only when you have the money to get the one you want and need.

There is a lot more to photography than lenses. Understanding exposure, composition and post processing come to mind. If I was you, I'd start by getting a 50 mm 1.8. You can get this one for about 100$, then I'd go for the 35 1.8. And you can shop on ebay for a 70-200 zoom with variable aperture and that shouldn't be too expensive.

Hope this helped a bit.

Enjoy your Nikon!

Eye-level

Banned
Well you have a 5100 which is great because that means you can use the pre Ai's...you'll be able to matrix meter with an Ai and Ais I think. And now let me tell you the greatest thing about all this lens crap...the Nikon F system is incredible. Get you a 135/2.8 Q non Ai right now or a this or a that Nikkor the old ones are priced right!...chimp the shots to get the exposure right...and then bracket 3 exposures around that...focus by opening wide then stopping down a couple stops...you can't go wrong. If you are lazy or have poor eyesight (wimp) get an AF-D or S...LOL :)

AC016

You should be able to use PRE-AI lenses on your D5100. With AI lenses, AI-S or E lenses, you will not be able to use the camera metering. You will only get metering (spot or center weighted) starting with AI-P. F3Af lenses will not work with your D5100 either. Only AF, AF-D, AF-I, AF-S, G, VR, and DX will work. With AF, no 3d matrix and not distance info. Older lenses are great to work with and since you are fine with manual focus, even better. Just check your manual for lens compatibility before you go and spend. Make sure what will work and the functional limitations of what will work. The D5100 will surely be around just like the D40's, D70's and D80's that you can find today. But, it will be replaced by next year.

Last edited:

Lradke

If I were shopping for lenses on a budget, I would shop for used but professional level lenses.

Is there some kind of guide that can help explain the different grades of lenses? I appreciate all the help and info, but the lettering system is all Greek to me. As for professional level, I honestly wouldn't know what to look for. :(

Thanks for your help and patience, I really do appreciate it! :)

Dave_W

The Dude
Is there some kind of guide that can help explain the different grades of lenses? I appreciate all the help and info, but the lettering system is all Greek to me. As for professional level, I honestly wouldn't know what to look for. :(

The best zoom lenses made are the so-called "trilogy" zoom lens trio that consists of the 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8. It covers the complete spectrum from ultra wide to telephoto. Then beyond that are the prime lenses which are less clean cut than the trilogy lenses are. Those require a little bit more planning and understanding of exactly what you're considering using them for and in several cases the lesser expensive lens turns out to be the better lens despite being a 1/3 of a stop slower. The best example of this is the 85mm lenses. The 85mm f/1.4G is ~$1600 and by nearly all measure is slightly inferior to the 85mm f/1.8G at ~$600. With all this said, I would aim for the trilogy zoom lenses. I particularly love the 24-70mm, it covers the "normal" range extremely well and is razor sharp. I use this lens far more than any of my other lenses.

Here's a great link, it's like the Sears Christmas catalogue for photographers - Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR Lenses

pedroj

Consumer lens are usually lens that have differing aperture stops like F4. F5.6 through the lens say where as a pro lens has constant F stops through the length of the lens F2.8...

Google can help you

friedmud

I just got the 50mm 1.8G... it is quite an amazing lens. Awesome resolution... great color... has an aspherical element that really keeps down flare and coma... great bokeh. Even though it's in the range of your current lens it would still add something quite spectacular to your photography!