looking for dinner

PapaST

Finally got my D600 out today. Just snapping pics of birds from a boat deck.

bm6_0380.jpg

Attachments

• bm6_0380_thumb.jpg
    bm6_0380_thumb.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Nikonitus

For a very averagely priced lens, the 70-300mm takes some quite good photos onboard a D600, doesn't it?

I took the 70-300mm D600 mounted into town last week and saw the Emirates Team NZ, Americas Cup Catamaran out there so I snapped a few pics as they brought it back into their base. I watched this thing while it was on the water a few hours earlier and I have never seen a sail boat get up and go from a standing start, as quick as this one.. Then to witness it come up onto one hull and virtually fly on the water is a true sight to behold. I watched them through binocculars doing this and tried to snap a few pics with the 70-300 but it was just too far off-shore...

Just a few pics but nothing to show off about. Some other closeups at 300mm I took, reveal a bit too much and I wont post them as Team NZ are quite sensitive about some of their designs and I follow the America's Cup event(s) and wouldn't want to give anything away. I was asked who I was, by a couple of gents while snapping some shots... Not the first time...

You might have to excuse the quality of these pics as it appears the photo resizer doesn't do the best job. The originals are a lot better...

Attachments

• DSC_0253.jpg
    DSC_0253.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_0282.jpg
    DSC_0282.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0296C.jpg
    DSC_0296C.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 174

Phillydog1958

For a very averagely priced lens, the 70-300mm takes some quite good photos onboard a D600, doesn't it?

I took the 70-300mm D600 mounted into town last week and saw the Emirates Team NZ, Americas Cup Catamaran out there so I snapped a few pics as they brought it back into their base. I watched this thing while it was on the water a few hours earlier and I have never seen a sail boat get up and go from a standing start, as quick as this one.. Then to witness it come up onto one hull and virtually fly on the water is a true sight to behold. I watched them through binocculars doing this and tried to snap a few pics with the 70-300 but it was just too far off-shore...

Just a few pics but nothing to show off about. Some other closeups at 300mm I took, reveal a bit too much and I wont post them as Team NZ are quite sensitive about some of their designs and I follow the America's Cup event(s) and wouldn't want to give anything away. I was asked who I was, by a couple of gents while snapping some shots... Not the first time...

You might have to excuse the quality of these pics as it appears the photo resizer doesn't do the best job. The originals are a lot better...

I like your photos. They're very sharp and well composed. My question has to do with you referring to the 70-300 as a "Very averagely priced lens." How do we know what's average in lens pricing? I'm not sure that consumers are privy to that information. Nikon knows which lenses the average consumer is buying. My guess would be that kit lenses are what the average user buys. I just don't think that a $600 lens is what the average user is buying.

Last edited:

nzswift

Here there was a competition by the NZ Nikon distributor for anyone who bought a DSLR camera from mid September to mid October (from memory). First prize was an African Safari trip. I entered when I bought my D600 and just received an email from them to say I was the winner of an AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED lens., Quite rapt that judging by both your pictures, I'll be quite happy to receive and use it.

Phillydog1958

Here there was a competition by the NZ Nikon distributor for anyone who bought a DSLR camera from mid September to mid October (from memory). First prize was an African Safari trip. I entered when I bought my D600 and just received an email from them to say I was the winner of an AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED lens., Quite rapt that judging by both your pictures, I'll be quite happy to receive and use it.

Congratulations to you.

Nikonitus

Yeah likewise - Congrats. I never heard of that competition. I bought my D600 about 3 or 4 weeks back. As a matter of fact it may well have been one the first sold in NZ. I got my hands on it the day the D600 was released in NZ. I wish I had have known about that comtetition... Never mind...

What do I mean by averagely priced for a lens...!!!
Well, lets put it this way. It costs here, about half the price of the 24-120mm, or even about 3/4 of the price of the 28-300mm lens. Of course the actual prices will differ slightly from country to country,, even store to store,, but that should give you an idea of what you pay for one. Personally I think the 70-300mm lens is quite a buy. I bought mine for the D300 about 3+ years ago and never regretted it one bit. I had a big sell off of most of my lenses a year or so ago, because I just wasn't using most of them but the 70-300mm stayed. That was/is one lens I "know" I can get good results from, so it stays - fullstop...!!!

Thanks Phillydog,,
they were more in the interest of the America's Cup rather than trying to get good results. My brothers and I follow that yachting series like bloodhounds after a fox. Some of the Team NZ guys know us by sight as we have supported them in the past for quite some time now. Since I bought the D600, my brother is forever on my back about Team NZ photos, as he lives for the event(s),, loves it. I headed back in to town again today and snapped a few more and will be transferring them onto brothers PC just as soon as he tells me to - right now...!!! If any shots turn out goot, that will be the D600 at work, not me, hahahaha. I tell you, I am a very average photographer,, but thanks...