Web Site Question!?

RockyNH_RIP

I hope this is the appropriate place for this... if not, can a moderator move it??

I am interested in what people are doing/using to build their Photo Specific web sites... I know of the Photobucket, Flickr etc.. I am talking about the real web sites..

I am wondering what everyong is using??? Commercial Version Photo Specific, building your own, free bee, paid service??? I have a family website now (and its stale) and I was thinking of maybe converting a section of it... but then got to thinking a stand-alone may be better..

So, if you have a Hobby web or a business web, What did you use.... (pros' & cons')

Thanks in Advance,

Pat in NH

Ironwood

I have started to do a website to help sell my pens.
On a recomendation from another penturner, I used this lot
Web Hosting by FatCow - Get A Discount on Udderly Fantastic Web Hosting

Its my first go at a website so I have nothing to compare it to, but have found it pretty straight forward so far.

Only trouble is, I bought my Nikon D3100 to take better photos to put on my site, and since I got it, have been too busy taking photos and havent finished setting up the website.

RockyNH_RIP

Another one with links - Make Money From Photography

These 2 are more in relation to how you can make some money off your hobby..
Even otherwise just as a hobby, there are some good pointers

Thank you Letmedanz, Nice Links.. The one is to Digital Photography School and they have a lot of good info... I am in the Hobbiest mode but would like to a have a web presence for my photos..

I will look at both later and again, Thank You!

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

I have started to do a website to help sell my pens.
On a recomendation from another penturner, I used this lot
Web Hosting by FatCow - Get A Discount on Udderly Fantastic Web Hosting

Its my first go at a website so I have nothing to compare it to, but have found it pretty straight forward so far.

Only trouble is, I bought my Nikon D3100 to take better photos to put on my site, and since I got it, have been too busy taking photos and havent finished setting up the website.

Hey, thats how things happen! :) I have 2 websites online now through another host and that is working out well. Just not sure I am ready (or want to) develop a "good" photo site on my own...

Hoping there might be some good templates available ...

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

The links provided are very informative... Thanks, I will learn a bunch (again!)....

Still looking for what people are using for their personal Photo Web Sites??? I have to believe there are some already set up for a Photographer to just configure... Maybe I need to head to google but was hoping to here from some with experience..

Pat in NH

WhiteLight

Oops.. i think i made a boo boo..
It's not free. its $50/year..
i have no idea why i always believed it was free.. i do know i read that the site is open source....

RockyNH_RIP

Zenfolio was the one I looked at last night! I will go visit the other 2 tonight, my work server restricts my access...

Thank You!

Pat in NH

plegall

Hi nikonites,

I'm Piwigo and Piwigo.com founder.

[About Piwigo] Oops.. i think i made a boo boo..
It's not free. its $50/year..
i have no idea why i always believed it was free.. i do know i read that the site is open source....
Actually Piwigo is open source and free. You can download it on Piwigo is open source photo gallery software for the web | piwigo.org (.org, yes), then you can install it on any web hosting. If you don't want to manage a web hosting, you can subscribe on Piwigo.com, get your photo gallery - Photo Sharing for €39/year and it includes hosting, automatic install, automatic updates, automatic backups, email support and unlimited photos or albums.

Rick M

I'm using zenfolio as the host and puchased my domain name from godaddy. Total cost was under $100 for the year. Zenfolio templates are super easy to use, link to my site in my signature below,

RockyNH_RIP

Hi nikonites,

I'm Piwigo and Piwigo.com founder.

Actually Piwigo is open source and free. You can download it on Piwigo is open source photo gallery software for the web | piwigo.org (.org, yes), then you can install it on any web hosting. If you don't want to manage a web hosting, you can subscribe on Piwigo.com, get your photo gallery - Photo Sharing for €39/year and it includes hosting, automatic install, automatic updates, automatic backups, email support and unlimited photos or albums.

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for clarifying that and sharing the links.. I currently have web hosting but I am looking to create something seperate... Though I may reconsider if you ".org" works for me!

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

I'm using zenfolio as the host and puchased my domain name from godaddy. Total cost was under $100 for the year. Zenfolio templates are super easy to use, link to my site in my signature below,

Thanks for the info Rick! I had seen your site before but did not realize it was zenfolio... Just looked at it again and I like how it "shows". They have several "levels", do you recall which one you signed up for?? Is there any items that you do not like or would change if you could?

Thanks again!

Pat in NH

Rick M

Thanks for the info Rick! I had seen your site before but did not realize it was zenfolio... Just looked at it again and I like how it "shows". They have several "levels", do you recall which one you signed up for?? Is there any items that you do not like or would change if you could?

Thanks again!

Pat in NH

I have the premium which is $120 a year. I found a coupon code at the time which brought it down to $80. The important part is the domain name. By getting the domain name you do not have zenfolio in your web adddress. A lot easier to remember rmillsphotography.com than having to have zenfolio mixed in with it. The Domain name cost $13.99 at godaddy. Nothing about it that I would change.