RAW vs Jpeg

Homer72

This is probably a repeat question, but here it goes. What are the pros and cons of shooting RAW format and Jpeg? Thanks for your help with this

Guy

RAW basically captures what the sensor 'sees' and doesn't manipulate it in any way. This lets you apply setting equivalent to white balance, colour model, sharpness etc using software instead. Saving as JPG essentially assigns your chosen WB, sharpness etc 'in-camera' and dumps it out as a JPG image.

Essentially saving as RAW gives you much more control over the final image. Personally I shoot JPG but most of my pic's are destined for the web, not print out or publication.

Dave_W

The Dude
Raw
Pros - no loss of information. Allows you to do maximum manipulation to the image.
Cons - creates larger files that require large disc space

JPEG
Pros - smaller files
Cons - loss of information. Far less potential for manipulation of image file.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would pay big bucks for a camera to then throw away 3/4's of the information that your expensive camera can generate. This is what you paid for when you bought the camera so why not utilize it to its fullest extent? But it is a personal choice and others will disagree.

TedG954

I made a progression.

At first I only used JPEG. Then I used JPEG & RAW. Now, I only shoot RAW. It just makes sense. RAW is the best available picture and I always post-process. Shooting both just takes up a lot of space on my memory cards. If you aren't confident, or willing to experiment, with post processing programs, then JPEG would be your best choice.

You can also Google the question for 20 gazillion (or more) answers from "experts". Good luck.

Ruidoso Bill

I only shoot RAW, I can always convert to jpeg later but cannot go back the other way, once the data is compressed and lost in jpeg conversion it is lost.

Tami Jo

I have recently started shooting Raw and i have to say it does alliw for much more manipulation of the image. The file size is usually double or more. I also noticed that it is timely converting images in viewNX. I went to open the raw file in Adobe Photoshop 7 obly to find it doesnt support NEF Raw. I thought Raw was Raw. Is there perhaps a plugin I can add so I can both edit and covert in PS 7? Or another program that does so better than the Nikon supplied software?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

stmv

just finished a weekend at the cape shooting. Found my ratio of using raw over my JPEG shots around 2:1. So, I used the RAW as a starting point about twice as often as the JPEG, but some shots were just fine in JPEG, and well, just quicker if the camera got it right. So, really not a 100% answer in my book. Raw will typically require more up front editing in the raw editor, but less in the full PS mode.

RockyNH_RIP

Similar to Ted, I started only JPG, then as I wanted to experiment in RAW I was saving in both... Did not take long for me to relize what a waste that was... and now I shoot raw only.

I imagine if I was just doing family snapshots (that they will all want) I may shoot that in JPG only... for the ease and convenience.

Pat in NH

Geoffc

I only shoot raw these days as the quality is better due to more info.

I would say two things. Firstly make sure you have a rash able PC as raw takes more resources due to larger file size. Secondly, you need something like Lightroom to provide a workflow that makes raw as easy to view and process as jpg.

For a long time I used a combination of viewnx and elements which was clunky. Since getting Lightroom I find raw as easy to use as jpg. I can also import them straight onto my iPad and it displays them. This is handy for deleting the rubbish when I'm away for the weekend.

Geoffc

I have recently started shooting Raw and i have to say it does alliw for much more manipulation of the image. The file size is usually double or more. I also noticed that it is timely converting images in viewNX. I went to open the raw file in Adobe Photoshop 7 obly to find it doesnt support NEF Raw. I thought Raw was Raw. Is there perhaps a plugin I can add so I can both edit and covert in PS 7? Or another program that does so better than the Nikon supplied software?

You may need to update your Adobe camera raw, although if you have a very new camera it may not be available for version 7.

Tami Jo

I have the D7000, not sure if an update is available but I will check. That would be nice

Fred Kingston

If I'm not mistaken, if you use LR... AND you shoot just raw, it takes a while for LR to render the jpg files it uses for the screen images and thumbnails... If you shoot both raw and jpg, it doesn't have to render jpgs to use for the screens... IOW, what you see on the screen, isn't the raw image, it's a rendering (in jpg) of the raw data...

Just a consideration if you use LR...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I shoot both at the same time (RAW + jpg). I use the jpg to preview the image and use the RAW file to edit the picture. Shadow recovery is just much better.

Sample taken in jpg (late in the afternoon)
BlackKites094org.jpg

RAW file. Shadows recovered and was able to expose it properly with the RAW file. Can't do this with jpg.
BlackKites094.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
I shoot both at the same time (RAW + jpg). I use the jpg to preview the image and use the RAW file to edit the picture. Shadow recovery is just much better.

I'm sure you already know this but when you view your image in-camera you are looking at the JPEG even if you only shoot in RAW. I just wanted to add this factoid for those who don't know their cameras very well and may infer the wrong conclusion from your post.

Btw, nice capture of the hawk!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm sure you already know this but when you view your image in-camera you are looking at the JPEG even if you only shoot in RAW. I just wanted to add this factoid for those who don't know their cameras very well and may infer the wrong conclusion from your post.

Btw, nice capture of the hawk!

Thanks. I was referring to viewing the large icons on the computer after you transfer the files from your memory cards.

Camera Fun

Using Raw more and more. So RAW + JPEG or RAW only?

After seeing what I can do with the Nikon ViewNX2 to make photos look so much better (and save some photos), I'm finding myself going with RAW more and more. So for those of you who shoot RAW, would there be any advantages to sticking with the RAW + JPEG that I've been using or should I just go with RAW only? I primarily use Aperture priority followed by Shutter priority. Thanks.

paul04

Re: Using Raw more and more. So RAW + JPEG or RAW only?

I use to do raw+jpeg, but using jpeg less and less, I don't bother anymore and just save in raw now.