My D700 has finally impressed me.....

TedG954

The quality of photos coming out of my D700 is higher than I can recognize, or appreciate. Compared to my D5100, I haven't really been impressed when I consider the costs. Well, out of the blue, I'm finally impressed. I don't usually check the camera data of the photos I take, but today, I was checking to see what lens I had used for a series of photos I posted earlier, and I noticed that the ISO was 3200! I don't like shooting 400 or more. This photo was taken at ISO 3200. To me, that's pretty impressive. Noise isn't visible, at least to my eye and I don't like using the automatic noise removal process.

My D700 has new respect.ISO 3200......

View attachment 19282

I changed photos because this one has not had any PS type enhancements. Basically, besides sizing, it's what came out of the camera.

Last edited:

Sale

I'm searching for a used one to buy... ISO 3200 with low noise would be a very nice thing for me as I mostly do low light photography.

Robert Mitchell

I regularly shoot my D700 at ISO 3200 for low light event work and the images are pretty darn clean, especially at any reasonable viewing size or in print. The key to clean images, whether at high ISO or not, is proper exposure. Underexposing a low light image and then boosting exposure or lifting shadows can be disastrous.

stmv

I tend to still stay at ISO 1600 or lower with the D700, very usable pictures ISO 1200 or lower. The delta between ISO 100-800 to me is barely measurable. I will say that so far the D800 is holding up to my D700 relative to noise. Nikon is doing a great job on their FX cameras.

Epoc

3200 is VERY doable. I have shot at 5000 and still got very usable images. This is a great camera even considering how old it's tech is. Personally, I need something better than a D800 to upgrade. A D4, well that's just unjustifiable considering I use this cam for my hobby. The 700 is truly is a great camera. Give it good glass and technique, and it shines like the star it is. :)

Epoc

I tend to still stay at ISO 1600 or lower with the D700, very usable pictures ISO 1200 or lower. The delta between ISO 100-800 to me is barely measurable. I will say that so far the D800 is holding up to my D700 relative to noise. Nikon is doing a great job on their FX cameras.

1600! Go higher. You'll be surprised!

Geoffc

I regularly shoot my D700 at ISO 3200 for low light event work and the images are pretty darn clean, especially at any reasonable viewing size or in print. The key to clean images, whether at high ISO or not, is proper exposure. Underexposing a low light image and then boosting exposure or lifting shadows can be disastrous.

Yes exposure is key. Low light equals higher iso and a temptation to under expose so you can lift it in post. Until recently I was guilty of this until I realised how much noise I was creating. A well exposed high iso shot will look good on these cameras.

daredevil123

I regularly shoot at ISO5000 with the D700. And when in a pinch ISO 6400. With the correct exposure, and a good workflow in NR, it comes out beautifully.

One of my ISO 6400 shots:

7968655850_6996dedeb7_b.jpg

Last edited:

theregsy

Well I knew that the D700 was good at low light photography, which is the reason I just shelled out £1000 on a used one, even got a battery grip and spare battery. Not having the greatest quality of lenses available to me I attached my 50mm f1.4g for a test, and amazed is all i can say. I have been running about with a S2 Pro and a D2x for the last couple of years, both take a good image, the D700 is in a different league. I can't wait to get to a festival this summer jsu to see what i can do, one thing that has surprised me is the size, with the grip fitted its bigger than the D2x which I never thought I'd see LOL Simply Awesome camera.
Buttermere-9010.jpg

longlands-9324.jpg

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

The difference in noise with the DX sensor is amazing. And at the lower pixel count of the D700 I would imagine that it's right up there with the performance of the new sensor on the D600 - which is astounding in the low noise/high ISO arena. I have absolutely no "need" for one to stick between my D600 & D800, but I suspect that if I came across one at the right price I'd be sorely tempted.