High ISO & Sports

aced19

Just thought I would share a couple of photos from last nights game.
I bump up the iso at 12,800 and 25,600.
You can see the color loss in the 25,600.
These pictures have been cleaned up. But just wanted to see the results after a little photoshop.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

The first shot actually looks pretty decent to me on this laptop. Not sure what lens you were using, I can see 170 mm focal length. At 1/1000 you could have dropped down to say 1/500, still captured the action and shot at a much lower ISO, better detail, color and less grain would have been the result. Great action happening at the game, good focus and composition for a fast action shot. Thanks for sharing.

Geoffc

I would like to see the full res version of the 12,800 image as I'm not sure if it is having a down sampling effect at this size. It looks good at this size though

aced19

I guess I should have stated in my original post. I don't shoot this high iso ever at any game.
I was just showing what the D7000 can do at these iso levels with some photoshop.
I shot most the game around 640-800 SS and 4500-6400 iso.
I was using a Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 lens

Here is the original pic at 12,800 untouched.
It's 13.6 mb
http://hornetsports.org/forumpics/PEF_8530.JPG

aced19

At 1/1000 you could have dropped down to say 1/500, still captured the action and shot at a much lower ISO, better detail, color and less grain would have been the result.

I shot most of the game at 1/640-1/800 with iso 4500-6400.
The original post I guess I should have said this was just playing around to see what results I could get.
But at 12,800 the results came out better than expected.
But 25,600 works, but not great results.

Here is the original version of the 12,800 image straight out of the camera.
It's 13 meg

Ruidoso Bill

Your D7000 does pretty darn good at what I would call extreme ISO, fun to see it. Every year the cameras just get better and better with high ISO. Thanks again for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:

aced19

I guess I should have stated this was just for fun. I shot the rest of the game at normal settings.
But just wanted to show how the D7000 does when you push the iso in sports.
The original file is here, it's 13meg.

Tried to post two times on Sunday but it kept telling me must wait on mod to approve post. Whats up with that?

Also I used a Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 two ring lens.

Last edited:

Geoffc

I've just looked at the full size image and I must say I'm impressed for such a high ISO. I dropped it into Lightroom and removed some more noise and it is a good image.

aced19

I've just looked at the full size image and I must say I'm impressed for such a high ISO. I dropped it into Lightroom and removed some more noise and it is a good image.

I was impressed also. Now it's not what most people want to shoot at nor use for print. But for sports it goes to show that the D7000 and a little noise reduction, you can shoot at high iso and get decent results.