Zeiss Lenses for Big Megapixel Cameras

Eye-level

Banned
Has anyone heard anything on the new Zeiss F mount lenses made specifically for high mp cameras announced at Photokina?

Before I was a Nikon guy I was a Zeiss guy...guess I still am a Zeiss guy kind of...

Rick M

I have not. I have considered zeiss primes, but in some comparisons they do not stand out like they used to. In some 50mm reviews, they come up short against some Nikons. I do like auto focus also, it just seems in the price/reward catagory Nikon is the best bet with close IQ anyway.

Eye-level

Banned
That is why I am wondering about these new Zeiss lenses. If they are made for the FF big mp cameras how good are they going to be compared to Nikkors? Have you tried any manual stuff in FF yet Rick?..I would assume it would be a bit easier than with DX.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
That is why I am wondering about these new Zeiss lenses. If they are made for the FF big mp cameras how good are they going to be compared to Nikkors? Have you tried any manual stuff in FF yet Rick?..I would assume it would be a bit easier than with DX.

There is not that much difference with manual focus between DX and FX Jeff. It's the focusing glass that is too transparent. With a 3rd party focusing glass with split screen, maybe the % great shots would improve. But with a little practice, one can do it. And sometimes it even helps to close down the lens while focusing. It makes the ground glass easier to read for focus.

Rick M

I agree with Marcel and I'll add that the auto-focus system is at least as good as I can do Manually. Generally, I only manual focus if there is not enough light or there is no focus point where I need it. I would not buy a manual lens due to my eyesight.