Lens Question

Maureen59

Hi
Not only am I a newbie on photography but also with a DSLR!! I need help please. I have been offered this to buy

Nikon Nikkor AF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 D Tele Zoom Lens Auto Focus 52mm
would it fit my D3100? Please
:confused:

Thank you
Maureen

TedG954

Hi Maureen,

It will work on your camera, but it will not auto focus. You will have to manually focus the lens. For your camera, the DX lenses are specifically designed.

That exact same lens is currently mounted on my D700. I believe it works very well and I like it, but not so much on a D3100. The lens, in good condition, should sell for less than $75.

I hope this helps.

Nikon AF Nikkor 35 80mm 1 4 5 6 D Auto Focus Lens 45 Day Limited Warranty | eBay

Maureen59

Hi Ted

Thank you so much for your advice. Maybe it might be a bad idea. I think I should stick with a lens with AF until I know what I am doing. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Maureen

TedG954

You're certainly welcome. By the way, the 18-55mm kit lens that comes with the D3100 will do everything, and more, than the 35-80mm. Good luck.

Hi Ted

Thank you so much for your advice. Maybe it might be a bad idea. I think I should stick with a lens with AF until I know what I am doing. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Maureen

Then just stck with lenses marked AF-S which are lenses specifically designed to work on Nikon bodies with out the in body focus motors like the D3100.