Need HELP! Buying my first SLR Camera

barr6950

I want to purchase a SLR camera for my wife and I. I have done some reading online, but really dont know how to go about picking a camera for us. We of course are amateurs and are eager to learn. I have heard the D3100 is a great camera to start out with. We really want to invest in a great camera, and I feel Nikon is where to start. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

§am

I'd say, first things first, a camera will feel different in your hands compared to your wife's hands.
What you might find just right might be too big (or too small) for her.
You should both go out and try out a few cameras and see which feel good for you both, as by the sounds of it you will be sharing its use

Having said that, the D3100 seems to be a good 'unisex' camera, the body is just the right size to be comfortable for both sexes. The D3200 is of similar size so something else to look into.

TedG954

I agree with the D3100 suggestion, and add the D5100. Those two cameras are real bargains right now. Don't forget to look at the Nikon Factory Refurbished offerings. If it were me, I'd find a nice refurbished, or used, D5100. They're out there and they're cheap. The 18-55mm kit lens is a very good lens and will do most anything you need, and keeps you on a budget. Good luck.

Phillydog1958

Yep! I recently bought my wife a D3100. She shoots in the "Auto" settings and probably always will use Auto. The D3100 is perfect for her. It even comes in a feminine red color. She loves it.

Last edited:

Somersetscott

Do not buy a Nikon 1, I know its a CSC. I did and wish I went for a better camera. Good luck - I hope you two choose the right one :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Rick M

Think about the future. If you have any sense that this will become a serious hobby, take a step further and get the D7000. If not, D5100 or D3100.

Phillydog1958

Think about the future. If you have any sense that this will become a serious hobby, take a step further and get the D7000. If not, D5100 or D3100.

Valid point. Don't be afraid to go out of the box and get a better-than-beginner camera, such as a 7000 or 5100, especially If you think you're going to stick with the hobby. I started out with a D5000 -- sold it on Craig's List. I upgraded to the D7000 -- recently sold it on Craig's List.

Last edited:
You can get a new Nikon D3100 w/ a 18-55mm kit lens, on line for under $500.00 USD. I have even seen the for $449.00 USD It's a really good beginners DSLR body, It's what I use and I am definitely a beginner. My wife loves taking pics with it as well and she has below a beginner status. When I first got it I thought it was a little small, but I added an aftermarket battery grip and it fits my large hands nuch better now. Here's a link to the D3100 on Amazon ...

Amazon.com: Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo

barr6950

Thanks guys...I feel the D3100 or the D5100 would the best choices. I'm leaning towards the D5100, but I have a month or so before I decide. I will keep doing research, but I dont think I can go wrong with those two options. I'm not feeling that red color on the D3100 either.

co2jae

I would suggest the 5100 if you can afford the extra $$. Getting a little more than you need allows you to grow into your hobby. 6 months ago I faced the same dilemma. I was "hoping" for a 5100 but was resigning myself to the 3100 due to budget issues and I was making my first DSLR purchase. I got very lucky and rewarded myself with a 7000 instead and I am having so much fun learning and shooting everyday since. In hindsight,, I think I would have regretted the 3100 over the 5100. Be prepared though, Nikons are very, very addictive. Have fun whichever way you go....