CF Memory Card....Why?

TedG954

Is there any particular reason why the D700 uses the CF format? What other Nikons use it? It's kind of inconvenient..,,

Is there and adapter so you can use small SD type cards?

Last edited:

stmv

That was the professional standard for years, and even the D800 still has one CF card slot and one SD slot. but, I suspect soon all the cameras will abandon this form factor and stick with SD, well until something else comes along.

Ruidoso Bill

I tried an adapter in my D300, no joy there, my D800 has both CF and SD, nice. I have a card in both slots, can have an incredible abount of memory especially for video, I'm using the SD for video. I am so happy I can continue to use my CF cards in both my bodies since they do become an investment. A 16GB card in my D800 holds 200 shots in RAW, 32's looking good now.

§am

It was the professional standard, lower cost then SD cards, and at the time slightly faster too.
Course now with UHS-1 and Class 10 SD cards, offering speeds around 50MB/s the speed comparisons are not much to go by, but CF cards can still offer a greater capacity then say the 64GB SDXC standards of today.

Being 'thicker' built, they are less likely to crumble away in your hands when battered silly(!)

Geoffc

My wife has a D300 with the CF card and I have the D300s which supports both so I use SD as its cheaper. We don't see any difference even on high speed bursts.

Pierro

I like the solid feeling and size of the CF cards, and simply detest the ever spiralling technological advance towards the tiny. We have a culture that is hell bent on making everything smaller and smaller until people with regular size hands can barely hold the things.

Its why i'm not not interested in upgrading my D300 to anything smaller and lighter. I like heft, as it gives me a feeling of robustness, and the D300 feels good in the hands.

I look forward to the day i can afford a D3s

Sambr

Yes I too like "big & solid" the D4 comes with one CF card & a XQD card. XQD is a very fast card, it's physical size is between a SD & CF card. Bad news is only the D4 uses them and only Sony makes them, which makes them very expensive.

Pierro

The price of Capitalism i guess, Sam. They have something unique and are simply doing what every other business does. Milk the pricing till there's some competition

silvertip

Let's get back to a question that asked in the original: Are there any CF size adapters that will allow the use of an SD card in it? I would be interested because I am having a hard time finding CF cards in my small town. Thanks.

Kent

Eye-level

Banned
F mount lenses...most of them you can still use on an old film camera except for the G's...CF is good card standard for years still used and loved by many...equip the new cameras with the ability to interface with the older but not necessarily inferior technology...they call it backwards compatibility I think...

Nikon was built on the F lens mount. The first system camera. Product integrity at it's finest. Zen. Nikon is a body and lens company. The system is it's virtue. Canon was built on other lens "firsts" such as aspherical grinding. That is why Canon has so many different mounts. Canon is a lens company.

Last edited:

Sambr

You lost me Jeff. I thought were taking about SD & CF cards. Not lene & mounts. Remember Nikon was late getting into the digital era it was Kodak & Canon - Canon still is king. Doesn't matter how many mounts they have.

Eye-level

Banned
They are still using the CF cards...personally I'll take a CF card over a SD card any day of the week. Digital is another thing I just know about the old days stuff. Canon and Nikon use the same cards. What does the Mark what the hell ever have? :)