Rockwell's U1 & U2 settings for the D600--Questions

CTBob

I tried to download and install Ken Rockwell's U1 & U2 settings for the D600, but nothing happens. I went to his site, downloaded the file to my desktop, copied it to a SD card and followed his directions and saved it to my camera. Nothing changed. Couple of questions. First I formatted the card in my Nikon, file was downloaded on my Macintosh computer and directly copied to the card. Loaded into Nikon and set dial to U1 before the save. Does the file have to unzipped first? Different mode setting for saving file? Any ideas? Thanks

PapaST

I followed the same except from a Windows 7 box. After loading the settings and switching between U1 and U2 I see it go from BASIC to NORM in the Image Quality section (so I'm guessing the other settings were imported as well). But when I move to another setting (i.e. Manual Mode) and then go back I don't see the BASIC setting anymore (as if it reset back to default).

CTBob

I followed the same except from a Windows 7 box. After loading the settings and switching between U1 and U2 I see it go from BASIC to NORM in the Image Quality section (so I'm guessing the other settings were imported as well). But when I move to another setting (i.e. Manual Mode) and then go back I don't see the BASIC setting anymore (as if it reset back to default).
Same here. What mode were you in when you saved his settings?

Nikonitus

U1 and U2 - hmmmmmm,,

I did read KR's review a couple of days or a week back, and he shared one of his updated settings (called - ncsetupa.bin) which I downloaded but never installed. I am wondering of this is like updating firmware. I'm not eve sure if this is the same updates as you are talking about..

I did the D300 a couple of years back with a 2 part update of these .bin files(e.g = *a.bin and *b.bin) files, in the same manner as you might have,, both at once on the same mem card. It didn't work no matter how many times I tried it.. The secret was to do them one at a time. Place one of the file on the mem card, do the update, then delete it off the mem stick and place the other on the card and repeat. Then it worked.

If only I had have read the Nikon instructions "properly", instead of swearing and cursing about software for an hour or two - hahahahahaha...

Hope this may help...

PapaST

What makes Rockwell's settings better than you can do yourself?

I don't think the OP was looking for better settings necessarily. I think if someone offers up their settings to test drive, then why not? It never hurts to try something from another person's perspective.

jetspeed

I've tried the KR download for the 600 also and to no avail and I downloaded in U1 and U2 just for laughs--nada. I just see "norm"
when I switch between the two modes.

Sambr

Why are you even giving KR the time of day? You do know that he is "anti Nikon". Read some of his Canon reviews. Regardless, anyone on this forum is a better photographer than he will ever be. Ken's expertise is to suck money from people that visit his site.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetspeed

I am simply interested in what his settings are and if I like them or not. It's a starting point, that is all.

Last edited: