Nikon D600 vs D700

johncook

Hi guys,

am considering an upgrade to the D600, and have read lots about its tech specs and watched lots of video reviews of it which seem positive. Also seen it compared on a few sites to the D4 and D800 where it comes off slightly worse but it's a cheaper camera and does pretty well against them.

My question is how does it stack up against the D700??

i like the idea of less MP and hopefully less noise with the D700 and also better build quality. Also the D600 trumps it on features , faster processor, greater MP, lighter, smaller etc..

but based on image quality and noise control which is better D700 or D600?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
So far, I can't say I have a preference. I know that for travel, the D600 is nicer to carry around all day. For features, they are different and it would depend on personal difference (some want faster fps, other more pixels). I still haven't had time to do side by side comparison with the same lenses. And even if I'd do that, I'd have to go out for large prints to see the difference.

The nice thing is that for someone with a D7000, the D600 shares the same battery and controls. This is something that bothered me a little when I got my D700.

johncook

Cool, you have both.

can I ask how come you bought the D600 when you already have a great full frame camera in the D700? (Was it not delivering in an area of performAnce for you ?)

will be great to see what you think of them if you have time to try them out side by side !

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Cool, you have both.

can I ask how come you bought the D600 when you already have a great full frame camera in the D700? (Was it not delivering in an area of performAnce for you ?)

will be great to see what you think of them if you have time to try them out side by side !

For travel

navcom

I bought a D600 a week after they came out...mostly because I was originally looking at a D800 when the 600 was announced. I've shot with it a lot since acquiring it and can honestly say I have zero regrets. The noise (or lack thereof) is fantastic. The last few nights I've been trying night shots to test its capabilities and I can say it has passed. Star shots with aperture wide open and ISO 3200 are clean as a whistle.

I've not owned a D700 so I can't make the comparison between the two but as a landscape photographer, I can tell you that I am impressed with the 600s' resolution and rendition. It's a solid camera with a great sensor...exceeded my expectations.

Hope that helps!
Jeff

bigal1000

I bought a D600 a week after they came out...mostly because I was originally looking at a D800 when the 600 was announced. I've shot with it a lot since acquiring it and can honestly say I have zero regrets. The noise (or lack thereof) is fantastic. The last few nights I've been trying night shots to test its capabilities and I can say it has passed. Star shots with aperture wide open and ISO 3200 are clean as a whistle.

I've not owned a D700 so I can't make the comparison between the two but as a landscape photographer, I can tell you that I am impressed with the 600s' resolution and rendition. It's a solid camera with a great sensor...exceeded my expectations.

Hope that helps!
Jeff
Ditto one great camera with all the bells and whistles I'll ever need....